Is this bracket necessary?

Steve Powell

Is this bracket that attaches to the water pump necessary? I adds another hour of work to remove the waterpump.

Attachments

• DSCN0711a.jpg
    DSCN0711a.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 178
Absolutely Ford would not put anything unnecessary on its vehicles.

:D

I have removed them from every 3.8 I've worked on.

I believe it was put there to relieve the pressure the head gets when the belt gets loaded down. The accessory bracket is bolted to the end of the head, and nothing else but that bracket to the water pump. The alternator and especially the power steering pump put a very large load on the belt at times which can actually pull down hard on the head.

As for extra non needed parts.... I doubt Ford put that on there for no reason... the accountants would never have allowed that to happen, since they even go as far as forcing shortcuts that will fall into the category of killing 3-4% of the owners which would be acceptable to them.

Fraser

If the studs were as sturdy as the ones holding the Acc bracket on I'd possibly agree Fraser, but not with 2 8mm studs (if they are even 8mm). Plus with the IC bracket even further down and its actually bolted to the block and Acc bracket

Like someone said before, I believe it was a money making bracket for the dealers (make replacing the water pump more difficult).

IMO if was a brace why is it steel and not aluminum--like almost every other bracket on the engine?

Last edited:
Who says it's a brace? Could be something to cut down on an unpleasant harmonic under certain load / RPM conditions, could be a lot of things.

Is this bracket that attaches to the water pump necessary? I adds another hour of work to remove the waterpump.

takes another hour? Smoking crack while doing it? :rolleyes: with the CORRECT tool, the PS pump pulley can be off in less then 10 minutes, and back on in around the same.

And i'm with fraser, it was put there for a reason, and most likely not gouge customer for $$ when they take their car in for service. not only the loads that the Alternator and PS pump put onto the Acessory bracket, i'm think of the weight of the IC tubes and IC itself `bouncing'/Vibrating as you drive down the road..

Don't want to put it back on, that's fine.. nobody is going to twist your arm if you don't :)

I believe it was put there to relieve the pressure the head gets when the belt gets loaded down. The accessory bracket is bolted to the end of the head, and nothing else but that bracket to the water pump. The alternator and especially the power steering pump put a very large load on the belt at times which can actually pull down hard on the head.

As for extra non needed parts.... I doubt Ford put that on there for no reason... the accountants would never have allowed that to happen, since they even go as far as forcing shortcuts that will fall into the category of killing 3-4% of the owners which would be acceptable to them.

Fraser

:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No doubt a bad design but, a neccesary one me thinks. And ya, nothing on a car is unneccesary. Saving 5 cents is a big deal to car companies. Mr. josh is probably right though. Never considered it being for some other function.

No doubt a bad design but, a neccesary one me thinks. And ya, nothing on a car is unneccesary. Saving 5 cents is a big deal to car companies. Mr. josh is probably right though. Never considered it being for some other function.

Nothing on a car is unnecessary? Especially on our SC's? Many on this board would highly disagree...Me included.... I for one can name something...How about that freakin bolt on the back of the fuel rail that bolts the rail to the back of the driver's side head?

Nothing on a car is unnecessary? Especially on our SC's? Many on this board would highly disagree...Me included.... I for one can name something...How about that freakin bolt on the back of the fuel rail that bolts the rail to the back of the driver's side head?

Think of it this way... maybe it was put there during assembly for some reason to support the fpr area of the fuel rail until it was in the car properly.

I actually still use mine, but I notched the bracket so all I had to do was loosen off the bolt and then lift the rail out.

Fraser

takes another hour? Smoking crack while doing it? :rolleyes: with the CORRECT tool, the PS pump pulley can be off in less then 10 minutes, and back on in around the same.

And i'm with fraser, it was put there for a reason, and most likely not gouge customer for $$ when they take their car in for service. not only the loads that the Alternator and PS pump put onto the Acessory bracket, i'm think of the weight of the IC tubes and IC itself `bouncing'/Vibrating as you drive down the road..

Don't want to put it back on, that's fine.. nobody is going to twist your arm if you don't :)

How is that when the Lower IC tube is bolted to the engine block and acc bracket?

I work with Engineers that when questioned on their own designs they say they thought something was needed but years out in the field have proved is pointless.

Think the bracket cost Ford ~$2 to make with all costs included, and they charge over $200 for a water pump install (and its ~$75 for the pump). Like I said if it was structure why is it steel and not like most of the other brackets aluminum?

While I know its powder coated seems a bad design to have dissimilar metal in contact.

Think of it this way... maybe it was put there during assembly for some reason to support the fpr area of the fuel rail until it was in the car properly.

I actually still use mine, but I notched the bracket so all I had to do was loosen off the bolt and then lift the rail out.

Fraser

Well, I have to admit, I actually put it back in during reassembly, but I made sure to use a liberal amount of anti-seize on it. I just never saw it being used on any other Ford I have had.

Honestly, when you remove that, you'll find a small reservoir that holds the "headlight fluid". When you fill that back up recommended fluid that Ford sells, ($99.99 an oz), you'll easily gain 10-15 HP. Not sure if it's at the crank or to the wheels, but your butt dyno will be able to tell. :p

my 89 base, 92 sport, and current 90sc all had that bracket. everyone i removed sooner or later. it doesnt seem to matter if it has it or not. my thinking is with as hard as they made it on these cars to work on them they put it there to increase mans hours for maintenance. know the ps pump and water pump would likely last beyond warranty then cost the customer an arm and a leg for a water pump replacement and or ps pump. kind of like the front sway bar links, they are made not to last longer than 36k miles.
to a certain degree the manufactures designs certain things to go bad and cost the consumer money. they make alot off of repairs for replacement parts and labor.

You are correct...

Just look at the OEM front end parts on any of the t-birds.....

None of the moving parts (ball joints, end links, etc.) ever had a grease fitting in them....:mad:

They were suppose to wear out at some point in time....

You buy new after market ones and they all have grease fittings in them....:rolleyes:

I'm not saying that the bracket is necessary, because necessary is a big word. Air conditioning isn't necessary, but we generally have it on new cars. Think about that. There is a reason for the bracket. If you know what the reason is, then as you modify your car, you can make an intelligent decision as to whether or not you keep it. Certainly none of the above posters know the reason why it was there in the first place, so all are guessing as to whether or not it's needed. Is a guess good enough for you? In most cases when it comes to modifying a car, guessing is as good as you are going to get. In this case the guesses are backed up by a number of personal experiences suggesting that no ill falls of anyone who has removed the bracket. Chances are the thing isn't going to fall apart if you remove it. ;)

Big E, your statements about the lack of grease fittings shows exactly why assumptions from users or owners are not a good source of factual information. The joints on an SC do not have grease fittings because they are lined with teflon which reduces friction and improves road feel. Grease fittings would not improve the service life of the joints. The aftermarket joints that you buy with grease fittings are inferior products which is why they require grease fittings. If you don't care about road feel and NVH, then standard cheap replacement parts will be good enough, and go ahead and toss any brackets, etc. that get in your way. It will certainly make working on the car easier. :)

I'm not saying that the bracket is necessary, because necessary is a big word. Air conditioning isn't necessary, but we generally have it on new cars. Think about that. There is a reason for the bracket. If you know what the reason is, then as you modify your car, you can make an intelligent decision as to whether or not you keep it. Certainly none of the above posters know the reason why it was there in the first place, so all are guessing as to whether or not it's needed. Is a guess good enough for you? In most cases when it comes to modifying a car, guessing is as good as you are going to get. In this case the guesses are backed up by a number of personal experiences suggesting that no ill falls of anyone who has removed the bracket. Chances are the thing isn't going to fall apart if you remove it. ;)

Big E, your statements about the lack of grease fittings shows exactly why assumptions from users or owners are not a good source of factual information. The joints on an SC do not have grease fittings because they are lined with teflon which reduces friction and improves road feel. Grease fittings would not improve the service life of the joints. The aftermarket joints that you buy with grease fittings are inferior products which is why they require grease fittings. If you don't care about road feel and NVH, then standard cheap replacement parts will be good enough, and go ahead and toss any brackets, etc. that get in your way. It will certainly make working on the car easier. :)

you somewhat bring up a good point. in most cases joints with grease fittings might not be as good. but in other cases when you by the right stuff the grease fitting could be better. i use only moog parts for my suspensions now. i rebuilt my suburban front end with moog and so far have destroyed 3 deer, countless coyotes and dogs along with other country varmints, destroyed a mini-van with a fossil driving that had been suspended and not registered and he attempted to merge into me on 64 well i won. and after all of that along with 36-13.5 super swampers my alignment and all my parts are still in perfect shape. nothing but moog for me please. heres there web site incase anyone wants to check them out.

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/products.asp?cat=942

Back