intercooler thoery

mmathews

i haven't had much time to do experiments yet and i was hoping to save a couple bucks learning off what you guys have tried. so here's my theory, and question. i want to make an intercooler with less pressure drop and still get the inlet tube to ambian. my stock intercooler is basically a radiator that flows air. my research shows this style reduces psi by about 25%. here's why. when you pressurize a restrictive device, intercooler, the pressure coming out will always be reduced. i.e. your freezer in your house using the same principal to convert liquid to gas via expansion valve. fancy word for forcing x amount of a medium through a smaller, restrictive device. an intercooler is designed to spread the air out into hundreds of smaller areas so more of it can make contact with the cooling fins. thus, more efficient cooling. my theory, question is, can i run larger, thin walled tubes and create sort of a switchback design out in front of the car. then mount fins around the tubing and keep the same cooling efficiency? and, keep the 15 - 16 lbs of boost the sc actually makes? if this is possible, you could gain your 25% back without turning the blower any faster.

Well with the air charge being cooler, it'll become more dense, and therefore shrink. So because there's less volume, you're not loosing power, just recording less boost.

the stock air to air cooler that we have is a good ic its just to small. some of the guys here make duel ic's and sell them. they work pretty good. if you have the money get a fmic or air to water ic.

do a search online for "corkey bell, THE TURBOCHARGING HANDBOOK" its a quite in depth book about theoreys and such on turbocharging (not supercharging, there is a book for that) but there is a chapter or two about all the different intercoolers and such and why some are good and why some are bad, ect. ect. very good read.

should tell you everything you wana know

the name of aforementioned book is Maximum Boost

very enlightening read. my head was spinning after a few pages. corky bell knows his stuff. he is the dave dalke of the forced induction miata world. :D

the name of aforementioned book is Maximum Boost

very enlightening read. my head was spinning after a few pages. corky bell knows his stuff. he is the dave dalke of the forced induction miata world. :D

yes, just took my copy out and "masimum boost" a complete guide to turbocharging is the name.

yes, the theory in that book will litteraly blow your mind after a while. it will point out the cost savings "just good enough" factory systems that are in some cars and show some proper and over done things.

great book!

sorry for getting the name wrong in my earlier post.

You can calculate ideal pressure drop which you will get when you stick 15psi of air at 450f and then drop that air down to 100f. That is a pressure drop you can't get away from. it is any excess pressure drop that you'd like to get rid of.

that's cool! that's what's great about a site like this. i'll have to see if i can get my hands on a copy. do you buy it online or book stores? i understand the denser air doesn't occupy as much space. what i was tryin to determine was is it possible to reduce the pressure drop from forcing it through a smaller device then back to the larger tube by cooling it throught the larger tube? it's never gonna be 100% efficient. just tryin to learn some stuff :)

... what i was tryin to determine was is it possible to reduce the pressure drop from forcing it through a smaller device then back to the larger tube by cooling it throught the larger tube? ...

The simple answer is no, you'll gain no benefit from doing what you propose.

Back