Mazda M5R2 Transmission behind DOHC 4.6L? Will it work?

phils89sc

I know, this is an SC board, but I am thinking about buying an newer bird (94-97) 4.6L and swappin out the SOHC for a DOHC. I also wanted to convert this to a stick shift using the M5R2 SC trans. I am fairly certain that the trans will bolt up to the 4.6L block, but am not sure. I have access to a u-pull-it that has a 93 and 94 Mark VIII with complete engines (DOHC). They want $199.00 for the engines (each), and that is a great price. I can also get a good rebuildable M5R2 for about $100.00. All accessories and wiring comes with the engine.

Opinions?

It won't bolt up, it's 5.0 pattern, not a 4.6 pattern. You'll need either a mod motor T-45 or T-56.

You will have to find an early 4.6l from a towncar or a crownvic I think 92s where they had the AOD bolted to them those engines had the right bolt pattern and will work.

Those blocks are iron, and are pretty lousy in general. Would make for a very heavy motor with the 4V heads. Other option would be to find a doner case from a 4.6 f150 with the M5R2 and swap everything else from the SC trans into/onto it. But it would be cheaper and easier to get a T-45, they are all over craigslist for $100

Those blocks are iron, and are pretty lousy in general. Would make for a very heavy motor with the 4V heads. Other option would be to find a doner case from a 4.6 f150 with the M5R2 and swap everything else from the SC trans into/onto it. But it would be cheaper and easier to get a T-45, they are all over craigslist for $100

I thought the T45 was too short and the shifter would end up up against dash?

Back