PDA

View Full Version : 10.176 @ 140.141

David Neibert
11-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Made a small improvement to my best time & mph on the turbo car this weekend, and broke the transmission trying to get that 9 second pass.

My 60 ft times sucked on every pass and not because of traction, converter is just too darm tight. For my last pass of the night I turned up the 2 step rpms to get more boost off the line and held it on the brake a little longer than normal. When it came off the brake it felt like the tires were spinning hard, but it was actually slipping. 1st and 2nd are slipping and 3rd and reverse are completly gone.

Made a detour and dropped the car and trailer off at Alan's (Dirtydog) shop on the way home. In addition to fixing whatever is broken he's going to build me a new converter with about 3500-4000 stall and upgrade a few other parts for added strength. If it was going to break, glad it broke when the season was over and I was only 120 miles from Alan's shop.

David

PS: Timeslip data
RT .354
60ft 1.680
330 4.418
1/8 6.654
MPH 110.658
1/4 10.176
MPH 140.141

Peak boost was 19.5 psi

See the 8:15 mark of this video for 10.2xx pass that same day.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/ky-horsepower-fall-shootout_2087991.htm

XR7 Dave
11-08-2010, 08:10 PM
David, time to put that .96 AR housing on the turbo and you might want to think about a rev kit for the motor to get a few more rpms out of it. I think you'll find that you won't need 20psi to run 9's that way. ;)

David Neibert
11-08-2010, 08:16 PM
David, time to put that .96 AR housing on the turbo and you might want to think about a rev kit for the motor to get a few more rpms out of it. I think you'll find that you won't need 20psi to run 9's that way. ;)

Yeah, I was thinking that with the looser converter the .96 AR turbine housing would be a good match. Car felt real strong and was still pulling hard through the traps at 6750 rpms. Surprised a lot of people because it didn't look or sound fast :D

David

392Bird
11-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Sounds like you have that thing about sorted out. I am sure Alan will fix you up. I will be due a freshing up on my trans next year. At least you are looking at the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Good Luck,
Bruce

racecougar
11-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Surprised a lot of people because it didn't look or sound fast :D

That's my favorite part about that car...it's a total sleeper. Oh, and that it's insane on the street. :)

Jeff Bratton
11-08-2010, 10:40 PM
WAY to go David! Too bad about your Tranny, but your right about Alan only being a short drive from there. I am sure he'll have your tranny back together and STRONGER in no time. As I stated in Kurt's post, I wished I could have made the trip over to Clay City but just couldn't make it as planned to watch you guys perform. I would have loved to see some of the peoples faces when they seen the SC's go flying down the track!

Congratulations to you David!

Jeff

Ira R.
11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Congrats again David! What can you can say but you have a lot to look forward to next spring!

Ira

Jimmy 2Coupes
11-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Congrats Dave, I'm sure you'll get that 9 second pass next season.

nickleman60
11-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Very nice David, now get the trans right and run a 9...............;)

Mike8675309
11-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Dang auto tranny's. I swear that if you get into racing them you need to learn to fix them. Congrats on inching it up another notch. Determination is paying off.

Toms-SC
11-14-2010, 04:13 PM
David what did you have for a transmission in the 93?

the-big-e
11-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Nice run....:cool:

Work on your R/T and you will get that 9 sec. pass.....:D

Kurt K
11-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice run....:cool:

Work on your R/T and you will get that 9 sec. pass.....:D
It's always fun harassing David about his reaction times, but R/Ts have absolutely nothing to do with the ET.

Dirtyd0g
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
It sounds dumb but I think the transmission slippage could have played a role in these runs, the transmission was hurt badly. I'm thinking more stall should give the same result without the loss and 9's should be a no brainer. Now it comes down to trying to nail the stall at a perfect combination virtually starting from scratch because the lentech converter was built from a nissan core, which is different from what I use. I did find the input shaft to be interesting because if it weren't for a snap ring on it it would slide right out.
Alan

the-big-e
11-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Sorry about that....:o

David Neibert
11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
It sounds dumb but I think the transmission slippage could have played a role in these runs, the transmission was hurt badly. I'm thinking more stall should give the same result without the loss and 9's should be a no brainer. Now it comes down to trying to nail the stall at a perfect combination virtually starting from scratch because the lentech converter was built from a nissan core, which is different from what I use. I did find the input shaft to be interesting because if it weren't for a snap ring on it it would slide right out.
Alan

Alan,

Please take a few pictures of the damaged parts. I'm really looking forward to seeing what the car will do with the new transmission.

David

CMac89
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Good work, David. Looks like your mph is calling for some 9.50s!

shoalcracker
11-15-2010, 10:59 AM
David

Just wondering if Karma was at work here with the tranny going south.

The convertor you were chasing at the ShotOut Draw.

Was the original intent an upgrade for the Whipple or this car?

Paul

David Neibert
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
David

Just wondering if Karma was at work here with the tranny going south.

The convertor you were chasing at the ShotOut Draw.

Was the original intent an upgrade for the Whipple or this car?

Paul

Paul,

Karma doesn't really have anything to do with it. From what Alan is telling me, the transmission on the turbo car may have been slipping for a while. This car has always been a dog coming off the line and has never ran good numbers in the 1/8 mile, and I've know the converter was part of the problem for a long time. I was trying to see if I could overcome the converter issues by applying more power, and to a certian extent I succeded. In hindsight, doing that probably accelerated the death of the transmission, but it was going to fail pretty soon no matter what I did.

When going after the converter at the Shootout drawing, it was intended for use in my 91 SC (whipple powered car) and was restalled and converted to non locking that same night by Alan, using my dyno sheet from earlier that day. I thought my turbo car would actually benifit more from a looser converter so I did speak to Alan shortly after the Shootout about what would be required to use it in my turbo car.

Since the converter was setup for use in my 91, it wasn't going to work very well in the turbo car and wasn't going to be strong enough either. So I decided to put it on the shelf and see what I could do with the turbo car using the existing converter, and then decide which car to use it in.

Since the Lentech AOD was pretty much destroyed on my last pass down the track, and Alan is doing numerous upgrades to make it stronger including a new torque converter, with stronger this and better that and the input shaft splines are differnt, I'll be getting a totally new custom built converter for the turbo car and installing the one, I got at the Shootout in the whipple powered 91 SC.

So now both cars will have new converters next time I hit the track. With the new 28" Hoosier slicks, I was going to need a looser converter anyway.

David

white95v6
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
nice runs david. you are close to single digits:)

David Neibert
11-23-2010, 03:06 PM
nice runs david. you are close to single digits:)

Thanks Matt. Pretty sure this new converter I'm getting along with transmission rebuild and switching back to the .96 AR turbine housing will be plenty for 9s. BTW, are you still interested in that .81 AR housing ?

David

white95v6
11-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Thanks Matt. Pretty sure this new converter I'm getting along with transmission rebuild and switching back to the .96 AR turbine housing will be plenty for 9s. BTW, are you still interested in that .81 AR housing ?

David

yea i maybe pm me the details.

Slysc
11-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Great run Dave!!
Can't wait to see it next year.

David Neibert
11-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Great run Dave!!
Can't wait to see it next year.

Dan,

Thanks...I can't wait either. I've mainly been playing around with this car for the past few years driving it about once a week at around 14.5 pounds of boost and doing a few upgrades to improve power, streetability and durability.

It just been in the last two months that I've tried to see what it can really do. Peak boost was only 19.5 psi on the 10.17 pass, and the sweet spot (most efficent) for the turbo I'm using is at 24 psi, and it will go as high as 30 psi. So I've still got plenty of power in reserve.

Not sure the stock halfshafts will survive a 4000 rpm 15 psi launch off the trans brake, but I'll bet they will be okay launching at 3600 with around 10 psi instead of the 3300 at 4 or 5 psi I've been launching with.

David

PS: How is your turbo SC coming along ?

David Neibert
12-27-2010, 12:48 AM
Going to Alan's shop to pick up the car tomorrow :)

David

BLOWN38
12-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Going to Alan's shop to pick up the car tomorrow :)

David

Hope you don't have as much salt on the roads as we do... or have a covered trailer.:)

Dirtyd0g
12-27-2010, 12:40 PM
I got the trailer out of the ice and snow tomorrow and got it cleared, I guess the county isn't spending money on salt this year so not much of that either.
We didn't get much snow, about 1/2 inch.
Alan

David Neibert
12-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Roads were dry all the way to and from Alan's shop, but there was a lot dusty stuff on the roads that looked like salt residue. With snow covering the ground or highway shoulders for the entire 400 miles (each way), it would have been a real mess if temps were above freezing. Not really a problem when it was between 14 and 23 degrees F for the entire trip.

Oh yeah, the new transmission and looser torque convertor feels real good and should make a big improvement to my 60 ft times :cool:

David

BLOWN38
12-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Good deal. now its really gonna be a long winter. Bet ya can't wait to get it back on the track.

racecougar
12-28-2010, 09:50 PM
If only us St. Louis guys had a track to run at. :(

David Neibert
12-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Good deal. now its really gonna be a long winter. Bet ya can't wait to get it back on the track.

Yeah, I'm very interested is seeing what it will do. Since we don't have a local track at the present time, I might be trailering it somewhere in the south that stays open all year. Also see where a lot of the fast guys from TCCoA go to a track called Rockingham that appears to be very lax on the NHRA safety stuff.

David

BLOWN38
12-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I'm very interested is seeing what it will do. Since we don't have a local track at the present time, I might be trailering it somewhere in the south that stays open all year. Also see where a lot of the fast guys from TCCoA go to a track called Rockingham that appears to be very lax on the NHRA safety stuff.

David

Keep us up to date if you go somewhere, I'm sure you will. I may be able to make it, depending where you go.

David Neibert
01-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Put the street tires back on today and took it for my first extended drive since getting the new trans and converter. Can't really tell exactly what the new stall rpm is because even with the boost dialed back to 15 psi, everytime I step on the gas hard enough to see where the stall is, the turbo spools and tires go up in smoke :)

I'm guessing it's 3200-3500 which is 400-700 rpms higher than the old converter. Just for grins I got on it in 3rd gear at 75 mph going downhill, and it instantly put the tires up in smoke. I think the stall is going to be really close if not spot on. Needs to be loose enough to quickly get into the boost building rpms, but tight enough to load the motor to spool the turbo, and not blow through the converter when the turbo spools and the power increases dramatically.

Not really going to be able to tell much more, until I get it back on the track with some slicks. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast just playing around with it :D

David

neverfastenough
01-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Put the street tires back on today and took it for my first extended drive since getting the new trans and converter. Can't really tell exactly what the new stall rpm is because even with the boost dialed back to 15 psi, everytime I step on the gas hard enough to see where the stall is, the turbo spools and tires go up in smoke :)

I'm guessing it's 3200-3500 which is 400-700 rpms higher than the old converter. Just for grins I got on it in 3rd gear at 75 mph going downhill, and it instantly put the tires up in smoke. I think the stall is going to be really close if not spot on. Needs to be loose enough to quickly get into the boost building rpms, but tight enough to load the motor to spool the turbo, and not blow through the converter when the turbo spools and the power increases dramatically.

Not really going to be able to tell much more, until I get it back on the track with some slicks. Meanwhile, I'm having a blast just playing around with it :D

David

When you're doing all these boost changes, do you have different tunes?

David Neibert
01-02-2011, 09:31 AM
When you're doing all these boost changes, do you have different tunes?

Corey,

I only have two tunes...street & race. They are identical except the race tune has 4 more degrees of timing in the upper rpms. On the street tune max timing is 19 degrees, on the race tune it's 23. The FAST XFI allows for toggling between the two tunes using a switch mounted inside the storage box on the console, so I only need the laptop when datalogging or making changes to the tune. I always use the street tune unless I've got around 50% race gas in the tank, the higher the boost the more race gas I use.

FAST XFI is a full sequential speed density system and uses a 3 bar map sensor and wideband o2 sensor along with all the other sensors we normally have to maintain the desired A/F ratio, and automatically corrects up to 25% even at WOT.

David