Cam Sensor I think, double checking

sts70004

I'm not getting a check engine light, but every now and then my car doesn't want to start and I have to turn it off and crank it a couple times and usually the tach doesn't work, and then after a while it comes back. Sometimes when driving the tach will bounce and the car will buck with any throttle touch. I think its the cam sensor, but I don't have a CEL so I'm not positive. Sound like a cam sensor to you guys?

I'm not getting a check engine light, but every now and then my car doesn't want to start and I have to turn it off and crank it a couple times and usually the tach doesn't work, and then after a while it comes back. Sometimes when driving the tach will bounce and the car will buck with any throttle touch. I think its the cam sensor, but I don't have a CEL so I'm not positive. Sound like a cam sensor to you guys?

when my car chewed up the cam syncro and cam gear it kind of started doing that in the start.

not to scare you..

Sounds like a cam and crank sensors are going out, since you have a no start issue. Replace them before they leave you stranded, they are common to fail.

Sounds exactly like a cam sensor problem I had. To verify I unplugged the cam sensor and drove it for a couple days to see if the bucking came back. When unplugged it was still hard to start, but the bucking never came back. Replaced the cam sensor, never had a problem again.

Alrighty, well since I had no CEL just wanted to confirm, sounds like good news. Easy to replace from the top too. I'll keep an eye on the crank sensor though just to be safe, but I get no upshift light while cranking so I think its probably alright.

one time mine wouldnt start i dont remember a cel or any warnings , and i unplugged the cam sensor and it fired up and i drove home and replaced it

thanks
ralph

Last edited:
Back