No start, no jump

ThunderDave

Went to doctor today to get my hip checked and when I came out, the car would not start. Just clicks. Tried to jump it, made no difference. Tapped starter, that didn't help. Battery a few years old. No lights or warnings before this. Been running good. Tried jumping solenoid, that didn't work. No sparks or anything. Car is still at docs office. Would like to hope it's something easy, to avoid towing, but I know how my luck goes. Any ideas?

Last edited:
5 speed? Pop the clutch and start it if you can push it. I'm thinking a bad connection somewhere? Maybe the starter finally decided to head out.

5 speed? Pop the clutch and start it if you can push it. I'm thinking a bad connection somewhere? Maybe the starter finally decided to head out.

It's an auto. The starter didn't turn or anything, just sounded like clicking at the solenoid.

Check battery connections first.....

Get them nice and clean....

I've had this happen to a number of my SCs.....:rolleyes:

if battery seems ok check the small terminal at the starter if it looks good . if it just clicks brushes are prob bad in the starter .

thanks
ralph

the small wire on the actual starter is a real suspect---that connection corrodes and its a no go...give it a good wiggle and see if it doesn't start then take it home and clean the crap out of it.....that little terminal cost me a starter and two tows before I figured it out.Thanks AAA.........Dan

I've had both the battery terminals cause this (on several cars, of course!), and on my 90, the small wire on the starter had an issue like Dan described.

According to the guy at Advance Auto, Ford had a recall on that small wire because problems with it coming off the starter. That's what mine did.

BTW, a hip flexor strain hurts like crap. :(

Thanks for all the help guys. :cool:

Back