What are the symptoms of a failing stock fuel pump?

phils89sc

Short of total failure, what are some symptoms of this? How would it change the way the engine runs? Also, I am hearing a weird noise when the fuel pump primes. It sound like there is an excessive amount of gurgling in the system, and this morning, when I start the car, it starts, but the idle immediately falls and it feels like it is going to stall. So, today I change the filter. No noticeable difference in the way it starts. The weird thing is that when I am backed down the driveway, with the back end of the car facing at a down angle, and you turn the key to prime the system, it sounds very loud, like a hollow sucking sound in the tank. With the front of the car aimed down the driveway, It is not as loud, and the gurgling sound is louder, sounds like air in the system. I just got a full tank of 93 yesterday. The startup issue was prexisting to this.

Any thoughts? I have changed the pump out before and I know it is a pain (removing exhaust, driveshaft and loop, not fun). If it ends up being the pump, now would be a good time to switch to the 92 up style tank and get my exhaust modified to suit.

thanks in advance.

Phil

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and see what the pressure is doing. Go WOT and see if pressure falls. They rent the tool or you can just buy one. You can also just pick up an autometer and install it permanently.

my fuel pump was acting up a few years ago , mostly after i ran about an hour or two . it would wanna stall at stop signs . finally after about a year of that i replaced the pump and it was fixed . recently my fuel press regualor went bad . mostly when still cold it would hesitate or wouldnt go till it got worse and would hardly go when warm , i made it home and replaced it and all is good

thanks
ralph

Back