ah crap...steering leak, which hose is this (pix inside)

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Sprang a steering leak on the 93.

I found a very good picture by Mike8675309 of the K member with steering components (thanks man!). I've highlited the joint where my leak is coming from (yellow box) and I've included actual pictures.

Which hose is this? Hi pressure or low pressure? Are there O rings in this joint? Or could it possibly be that it simply came loose and I can just re-tighten? Or am I stuck having to replace the entire hose?

Thanks for the help guys.

cross20member.jpg

11082010378.jpg

11082010379.jpg

are your motor mounts bad?

the oil pan tends to rub a hole in the top of the line. ask me how i know this. :rolleyes:

take your upper ic tube off, belts, battery out and unbolt the fuse box from the inner fender (2 10mm bolts.) then take your accessory bracket off after pulling out the EVO valve, followed by your intercooler and lower ic hose. you will have all the room in the world.

my trouble was with the small curved piece that came out of the rack , the oring went bad and it fell apart ,now i look at your pics again mine was the same way , i was afraid that curve wouldnt be included with the new hi pressure hose , so i went to the junkyard and bought the small curved piece from a regular tbird and all has been well for a year or more

thanks
ralph

Last edited:
So is this for sure the high pressure line? Unfortunatelly I dont have access to my shop manuals at the moment so I cant verify there.

are your motor mounts bad?

the oil pan tends to rub a hole in the top of the line. ask me how i know this. :rolleyes:

take your upper ic tube off, belts, battery out and unbolt the fuse box from the inner fender (2 10mm bolts.) then take your accessory bracket off after pulling out the EVO valve, followed by your intercooler and lower ic hose. you will have all the room in the world.

Nope, motor mounts are fine, I was checking it out quickly before it got too dark but I think that removing the oil filter may give me just enough room to fiddle with that.....oh, by the way its on my 93 SC but the car has a 5.0 conversion so the set up is different. I think I have a little more room than the standard 3.8L sc set up.

NAPA sells a replacement HP hose assembly with all the correct fittings (Part # 7-3340). Unless you are replacing the power steering pump itself, be very careful if you elect to separate the EVO valve from the pump. The fittings on the valve tend to leak when disturbed. New valves are getting hard to find and are very expensive. You may consider buying a set of reuseable teflon supercharger-intercooler inlet and outlet tube gaskets from Dan Weller or another supplier and remove the supercharger tubes (you'll need a spanner wrench available from Supercoupe performance) to improve access to the pump. Be sure to replace the low pressure hose while you're at it (NAPA Part # 7-1899). Teflon seals for the hose connections are available from Ford (Part # 388898-S).
Steve Duba

NAPA sells a replacement HP hose assembly with all the correct fittings (Part # 7-3340). Unless you are replacing the power steering pump itself, be very careful if you elect to separate the EVO valve from the pump. The fittings on the valve tend to leak when disturbed. New valves are getting hard to find and are very expensive. You may consider buying a set of reuseable teflon supercharger-intercooler inlet and outlet tube gaskets from Dan Weller or another supplier and remove the supercharger tubes (you'll need a spanner wrench available from Supercoupe performance) to improve access to the pump. Be sure to replace the low pressure hose while you're at it (NAPA Part # 7-1899). Teflon seals for the hose connections are available from Ford (Part # 388898-S).
Steve Duba

Well, I actually got to work on this car this weekend after it blew one of the steering lines off the rack. Somehow the clamp came loose from one of the lines and it let go leaking fluid all over the place. Checked the hose, reinstalled it, new clamp and that gave me a chance to tighten the conncetion that was originally leaking. It was cold as hell so I didn't fiddle with the car much so i'm going to plan to revisit that hose with the metal fittings in a month or so, but this time I will take out the drivers side accessory bracket to get more room to tighten properly.

THanks on the rest of your tips about the gaskets and tools...i bought this car converted to a 5.0L but i have that stuff on my other birds which have the original 3.8sc in it.

Back