Hard brake pedal on '94

nickleman60

I now have a hard pedal, I've checked and rechecked the 1 vacuum hose that leads from the booster to the intake, I've checked the vacuum tree on the firewall that one of the booster lines goes to and then to the intake. I checked the inline diapham on the vacuum line also and it seems to be working fine. I'm stumped at the moment as this has never happened on this car. Any replys would be appreciated.

Did the Nitrous backfire damage the diaphragm in the brake booster.

I would say no since the inline diaphram on the vacuum hose was OK. It it set up to allow vacuum to be pulled from the booster towards the inlet plenum and not backwards. I checked the small diaphram and even pulled one off of Daves '93 in the backyard to verify how it works and it worked the same way. I can't see how the nitrous backfire pressure can get by this diaphram without damaging it to get to the booster.

I was getting ready to load it on the trailer last night when I discovered I had a hard pedal. After getting it running after the nitrous mishap I never pulled it out of the driveway.

Last edited:
I think the "diaphragm" that you're talking about is actually the check valve, and it may not have been damaged, just had pressure forced past it. The easy thing to do here is to put a hand operated vacuum pump on your brake booster and draw about 15" of vacuum on it. If it holds, you're good to go, if it leaks out right away, there's your answer. I really think you have a bad booster.

After fiddling around with eveything I now have brakes.........:confused:

I did put a worm clamp on one the vacuum hoses instead of a zip tie so according to my aftermarket vacuum/boost gauge it gave me a few more inches of vacuum, maybe it was as simple as that.........:rolleyes:

hard brake pedal

Did you put clamps no all the brake vacuum lines because I had to park my t-bird fore a wile because 6 different people on my street called the cops no me for doing donuts at the end of my street but back to the problem after a couple of months I started the car and the brake pedal was so hard it would not move and it now dose not have any brakes so I'm hopping the same thing will fix my super chicken

Last edited:
Back