Which type of ball joint to use in 89 SC?

phils89sc

I have heard suggestions for both types, maintenance free and the type that you have to lubricate. I have also read that the OEM type are designed to fail basically because they cannot be lubricated. Which type should I get? BTW, these are for the front lower control arms. I am going to rebuild a set of factory control arms ( I know I know, why not just buy a new set of control arms right?) I don't know, I guess I just like the challenge.

Thanks in advance, Phil

I'd do the sealed.

In my opinion, the only reason the sealed version fails prematurely is because the boot gets torn and the grease gets washed out. If it's high-miles, the ball joint finally wears enough to tear the boot, then the wear accelerates.

If you forget or neglect to grease the greasable type...you'll start the wear much sooner, not to mention dirt penetration begins much earlier.

I have the greasable moogs but not because they're inferior, but rather they are heftier. After several dissappointing replacement LCAs, including name brands :rolleyes:, I now buy the separate balljoint. The replacement arms just don't seem to last. Within just a few years of service, they're already loose :( And I'd advise never getting suspension parts off ebay. Go name brand and save yourself some frustration.

I have heard suggestions for both types, maintenance free and the type that you have to lubricate. I have also read that the OEM type are designed to fail basically because they cannot be lubricated. Which type should I get? BTW, these are for the front lower control arms. I am going to rebuild a set of factory control arms ( I know I know, why not just buy a new set of control arms right?) I don't know, I guess I just like the challenge.

Thanks in advance, Phil

My thinking is, if a factory suspension part lasted 20 years ... you got your money's worth.

I also prefer the moog lowers, the way I do them is buy the entire arm assembly from advance which appears to be a trw part (SC specific heavier one) a first sign of wear it gets a moog balljoint. I don't mind greasing my front end twice a year.
Alan

My thinking is, if a factory suspension part lasted 20 years ... you got your money's worth.

Well, actually, I am not sure if these are even the factory arms. They do have TRW stamped on them, so they are either factory or OEM replacement. Either way, yes, the car is 20 years old, but, she also only had 86K on the clock when I got her and the lower front ball joints were bad then. I think I will take a gamble, get the greasable ones and lube them two or three times a year.

My preferance is one piece replacements. Ford/TRW/Moog

Pressed out and in sounds like loose/maintenance/replacement to me.

Paul

My preferance is one piece replacements. Ford/TRW/Moog

Pressed out and in sounds like loose/maintenance/replacement to me.

Paul
Its a bit of a pain to contend with, but seems to be the only way I can get decent parts on my car anymore :( They make a tool that you can rent to press the ball joint out/in. Its like a huge "C" clamp.

You can buy one at harbor freight for less than $50, they work well for u-joints as well. I have worn out a few of them and my current one is a harbor freight, I really can't tell the difference.
Alan

Back