Just bought my 1st sc..couple issues

jpw2009

Hey everyone im new here, I'm sliding over from the Mustang GT Registy.The car was killin me finanically, so I scored a 91 supercoupe 94000 orignial owner all reciepts adult drivin,for $1200, it just sucks its auto, but beggars can't be choosers.There are a couple of things that are wrong..

-The wiper motor doesnt work, or there is a short.

-The car will not start sometimes. It will spin like 3 times and it is almost like the compressions stops it dead. It will then crank again no problem if you let off the key. it almost feels like the battery is running out of juice.If you wait a minute and try again it will start right up no problem..I didn't scan for codes yet because I'm getting the car tomorrow night, so I cant really do anything right this second, I'm just so excited I can't contain myself!

I haven't done any diagnosis as to the issues so far. It seems like the car has a rough idle too, but after a tune up we will see whats going on.. I was just curious if you guys ever had any of these specific problems or what not. Im guessing either ignition mod, maybe a crank sensor or something of the sort. I feel a little overwhelmed, i'm used to the mid to late 80s 5.0s. alot more sensors and the S/C add alot of piping. But after I drove it and felt the power and watched that boost gauge go up I knew there was no turning back! thanks in advance and I look forward to a long time on this board..Thanx!!

Just be prepared to take things apart to do almost everything to it ;) its a little overwhelming but once you take it apart and get er back together a couple times, you'll pretty much understand the whole system. Some things i did when i got my 94 in september.

Replaced control arms/ ball joints
plugs and wires
camshaft position sensor
Battery
Motor/ transmission mounts
Thermostat
Fuel filter
belts
And i cleaned the TB, MAF, piping and intercooler
My sc sucks some oil from my pcv valves and gets built up in the intercooler. I would definately give it a tune up before i replace things like the coil. IMO, like i said before, i take things apart to get to other parts. I'd rather be systematic and take extra time instead of fighting the lack of space. The cars are bad--- :cool:

I've had a few SCs do that same thing....

I just turn key to run, wait a few seconds, then start engine...

My theory is that it takes a little while for all the sensors to comunicate with the ECU or maybe it takes the fuel pump a while to build up pressure.....:rolleyes:

Definitely check all front end parts....

Front end parts definately.

Check here and on TCCoA.COM for the best brands (Ford, Motorcraft, and Moog for most - only Ford, maybe NAPA for the strut rod to frame bushings).

CHECK THE U-JOINTS!

Flush the brake fluid.

Do a tranny fluid change (see the tech articles here and at TCCoA on how), but NOT a flush!

Be sure that any differential fluid that goes in has the friction modifier for the traction lock.

When the suspension is right, and you have good tires, these things can ride AWESOME smooth.

Oh - RockAuto.COM Is Your Friend :D

Get the factory service manual, the EVTM (Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual), and any other manuals you can find off eBay if possible.

RwP

Ford did a recall for your year for the wiper motor. Stop by the dealer and see if yours was affected by it.

Welcome. First and foremost do a tuneup and fuel filter/air cleaner. Then scan for codes. From there lets see whats up. One thing I have come to realize in these cars is that even if it had EVER been tuned up they convieniently forget to change a plug or two.

After you do the scan and tuneup let us know whats going on.

Replacing worn motor mounts will make suuuuuuuuuch a difference in ride quality. I would check those now. If you are replacing them, do the spark plugs right then to save time. If you have the IC tubes off, check the valve cover gaskets for leaks. If you go from below, then never mind. Sway bar end links usually make the most noise of any failing front suspension component. Worn shocks are another bad one. Check all bushings and ball joints (you might need them all!).

If you give a pig a pancake...

Good luck with the SC.I currently have one 90 SC and not long ago had two of them . When they are working good, they are great. However, this car can give you an unwanted education rather quickly. Be prepared.

so i put the car on the road yesterday..last night into this morning the car wouldnt shift. wouldnt go from 2nd to 3rd...so i did a service on the trans and it didnt help..set the tv cable...no good. so i pretty much know that the trans is shot..im just really pissed. this sucks. does anyone know where to get a cheap rebuilt aod?

You can use a mustang AOD. I just have issues using used AOD's not knowing thier condition..And the mustang version has a weaker OD band

The fun begins, the AOD is notorious for having problems. As i posted earlier...... be prepared . Probably the biggest issue with the AOD is the weak OD band. Lentech has parts to upgrade this, might be worth a look. I have had my AOD's out 4 times , I'm getting pretty good at this now. LOL.

I don't think the AOD is a bad transmission. The car's old, what can you do? The transmission is relatively inexpensive to rebuild ... you can get a good one for 1500-1800 dollars.

Or you can, as stated, use a Mustang or Crown Vic (NON-police) or Grand Marquis AOD, although the shift levers (and possibly governors) should be swapped. The other thing to consider is that the SC has the strongest stock AOD. So don't throw it out! A good rebuilt SC AOD will be better than an AOD from another car.

I can agree with that....

They can be a bit pricey to fix (I've had 2 of them rebuilt).....

But, if you can do the R&R yourself, you can save some buxs....:D

I too recently picked up my first Thunderbird SC a 1990 ( first ford in years actually ). My S/C has 202,000 on it but I know about the car because I purchased it from the original owner and he had replaced the trans, many sensors and such and he had a shop replace the antilock brake assembly with a stock powerbooster and MC but the idiots at the shop didn't T the two front brake lines coming off the MC so the LF has no proportioning valve while the RF doesn't and when you hit the brakes it would scare the crap out of you but I fixed that issue, anyway when I first picked up my S/C the wipers would not work or started to work and then stopped and IK found it had a bad ground and it works great now. The one thing I have found with any Ford is that they are really ground sensative so I went and double checked all my grounds and everything seems to work great.
Oh and it still had the original supercharger snout seal and it started leaking and of course Ford doesn't even support it I went to my local O'Reilly auto parts store and the sales guy there worked really hard looking for a cross referenced seal from the factory part number and actually found a National seal # 20X47X7 for $7.99 and it worked great and I picked up the supercharger oil from the local Chevy house # 12345982 for $10.89 for a 4oz bottle and if you change your supercharger oil it takes 2 bottles ( 8oz ).
Sorry to ramble on but I just love my SC even though I am always working on something and it needs a coat of paint.. good luck.

try this

Your wipers, door locks, windows, moon roof,and other electrical items are sometimes screwed up by a bad ignition switch. They had a recall on them, and sometimes previous moron owners tried to fix their own, and used duct tape and cable ties to fix. I put one on, and all electronics work well now. Car starts quickly after that and a new battery from the one same moron destroyed.

Back