PDA

View Full Version : changing coupler

hawgy
11-16-2010, 10:36 AM
can you change it without taking off the blower? anyone done this or must the whole blower come off and if so what must be removed to get the blower off? i love this site you guys are so helpful since all this leg work has been done before i always come here before doing anything to the car i just got it 10 days ago 91 5sp thanks Hawg out!!:cool:

neverfastenough
11-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Its possible im sure. You could reach the bolts to take the snout off, but you'd dump SC fluid all over the engine, and that stuff stinks, bad. You could probably take the time to suck it dry, but before I went through all that crap, Id just take the blower off, its a pretty simple job.

Corey

hawgy
11-16-2010, 10:53 AM
do you have to have a gasket for the blower to intake and what all has to be removed to get the blower off? in other words what all is needed to do this job.

Mike Puckett
11-16-2010, 11:46 AM
The intake manifold and throttle body will come off with the blower. Disconnect the TPS and IAC plugs from the throttle body, unclamp the rubber inlet tube from the throttle body and remove it, unbolt the throttle linkage, loosen the hose clamp on the small bypass hose, pull the vacuum hoses, completely remove the upper IC tube, and the only thing left is the 3 long bolts that hold the blower to the top of the motor. And of course you need to remove the belt from the pulley and get the plug wires out of the way. 5 speeds have an EGR valve but automatics don't. The EGR has 2, 10mm bolts holding it to the back of the intake but it remains on the motor. There is a small gray EGR canister in a clip on the manifold that I remove and leave off letting the canister dangle. Removing the plastic windshield cowling and rubber seal is a good idea, too. It only takes me 15 min to remove one now I've done it so many times. Don't take the intake manifold off of the back end of the blower. When I separate the snout I put big screwdriver blade in the square hole on top and twist it. That'll pop the snout loose without breaking any other seals. I reseal my blower snout with Loctite 620 or 618 red sealer. The old hardened stuff needs to be removed before resealing. When reinstalling the blower you'll need to drop it in at an angle and wiggle it into place mating the small bypass hose as you drop it in. Hope this helps.

S_Mazza
11-16-2010, 12:02 PM
do you have to have a gasket for the blower to intake and what all has to be removed to get the blower off? in other words what all is needed to do this job.

Part of the hassle depends on what year the car is, and whether this stuff has been off before. Some cars have EGR, which complicates things. The 1990 auto cars (the most populous variety) don't have EGR. I think most models have a coolant hose leading to the bottom of the throttle body. So you need to disconnect those. Be careful with the EGR pipe, as those are hard to find. Don't worry about the coolant hose to the TB, as you can cut it and replace it later.

You can leave most of the stuff connected, so the only gasket you need would be at the upper intercooler connection. Or you can just seal it with RTV, which works fine.

Here is what I remember for disassembly (for a non-EGR car).

Remove the rubber air intake tube from the MAF and throttle body. Note the small PCV hose attached to the rubber tube. Disconnect the TV cable from the throttle body. Remove the 2 bolts and remove the throttle cable bracket from the TB. Remove the vacuum line connecting the intake and return plenums, and the big vacuum line that connects the curved fitting on the intake plenum to a vacuum tee. Leave the PCV hose attached to the intake plenum alone for now. Leave the supercharger "top hat" and upper intercooler pipe attached to the blower. Remove the nut from the stud under the upper IC pipe (near the intercooler). Then remove the stud. Remove the belt from the supercharger. Remove the 3 bolts holding down the blower. Loosen the hose clamps on the coupler between the intake and return plenums. Now (possibly with a friend's help) try to tilt the blower and pipes up a couple of inches. See if the assembly moves freely. Don't go too far, as you don't want to break the PCV hose at the rear of the engine. If it hits something, find out what. If all seems well, pull the PCV hose out from the passenger valve cover and move it out of the way (it swivels at the fitting behind the intake plenum). While tilting the blower up, swivel it a little to break the bond at the coupler between the plenums. You should be able to finagle it out from between the fuel rails. But make sure you don't have any pipes or hoses still connected in the back.

And that should do it. I think!

S_Mazza
11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
The intake manifold and throttle body ...

Ah, you type faster than me. Your instructions generally match up with what I remember, so I guess that's a good thing.

the-big-e
11-16-2010, 01:00 PM
One other thing....

When re-installing the blower, after the blower is lowered onto the intake, install the upper IC tube to the blower top hat (get some teflon IC gaskets), then bolt the blower to intake....

Mike Puckett
11-16-2010, 02:54 PM
I forgot about that coolant hose on the throttle body. I haven't had mine connected in so long I didn't even think about it. That's a good delete mod to do unless you live in the arctic.:D I noticed on the '94 I just took apart that the coolant hose was no longer used in the later cars.

S_Mazza
11-16-2010, 03:04 PM
One other thing....

When re-installing the blower, after the blower is lowered onto the intake, install the upper IC tube to the blower top hat (get some teflon IC gaskets), then bolt the blower to intake....

I sort of liked those gaskets, and sort of didn't. The problem for me was that the blower case aluminum is so soft, I couldn't get the gasket to seal without stripping the case! And I eventually had to Helicoil all 4 holes. So now I just use RTV. And I have found it is just as easy to remove the upper IC tube with the blower. So unless I really need to see the rotors or something, I just leave the top attached.