Motor Mounts

mike93sc

I suspected the motor mounts on my 93 were shot when I bought it, but haven't confirmed or driven my car since i brought it home. Anyway, went to change the oil to get it ready for its winter hybernation and noticed that I most likely won't be able to get the oil filter off. This pretty much confirms my suspiscion that the mounts are bad. I know everyone says go with the solid mounts. I wont really be doing any hard driving and was wondering if I should just go with the fluid filled. Also, has anyone gone with the mounts available at the local auto stores (oreilys, advance, autozone, etc.) I think they all probably carry the same brand. What do you guys think?

i went to hard mounts on both of mine. no NVH problems. i say just do the solid rubber mounts and be done with them.

solid rubber. i got mine from advanced. the bracket that mounts to the block has a tab that goes through a box or square hole cut in the bracket that mounts to the frame. with the new mounts on mine the tab is near the top inside the opening. with my old ones the tab was laying on the bottom of the box. make sense? i should post pictures of my shot fluid filled mounts. it would make you buy solid rubber :eek: i don't know if my technique in replacing them was the fastest but it went smooth. if i can help, let me know

Thanks for the replies/suggestions. I ended up going with the solid mounts from supercoupeperformance. Got the tranny mount too. I ordered them yesterday and they already arrived today!! Now I just need to decide if I should try to get these installed before the real cold weather is here. It looks like we may have a few days in the 50's. Not sure how long it will take to get these done. I replaced mounts in my 94 years ago, but don't remember how long it took. I do remember it being a nightmare and losing the nail on my thumb :(

I agree. Remove the ic piping and both accessory brackets. Put a block of wood on a jack and support the motor on the oil pan. Remove the through bolt, only bolt holding the mount and bracket to the frame. Jack the motor up. I got to the 2 front engine block bracket bolts from the bay and the third with a long extension and a knuckle from the ground. Take the whole bracket and mount out as 1. I put them back in as a whole unit. I used a pipe and tilted the motor to 1 side. Gave me enough room to slide it in. I did some cleaning while i was there. It took me 6 hours. It would take me 3 to redo it. Also, i put all my related bolts and nuts in sandwhich baggies. Made it a no brainer.

the solid rubber mounts from NAPA or AUTOZONE make the motor sit about 3/4 inch higher than stock fluid filled ones.

I have no issues with this but when I was reasembling the motor it got very tight back there with the cowling.

I agree. Remove the ic piping and both accessory brackets. Put a block of wood on a jack and support the motor on the oil pan. Remove the through bolt, only bolt holding the mount and bracket to the frame. Jack the motor up. I got to the 2 front engine block bracket bolts from the bay and the third with a long extension and a knuckle from the ground. Take the whole bracket and mount out as 1. I put them back in as a whole unit. I used a pipe and tilted the motor to 1 side. Gave me enough room to slide it in. I did some cleaning while i was there. It took me 6 hours. It would take me 3 to redo it. Also, i put all my related bolts and nuts in sandwhich baggies. Made it a no brainer.

On the driver's side there is also a bolt that goes into the K Frame on the on the lower half section.

Fraser

I have the solids on my black car and fluids on the other 2... Honestly, I can't tell the difference. So given the choice, I'd say just go with the solids. I had no problems with installing them either.. I think they may have been a bit tighter fit but they fit correctly in the 2 brackets.

Back