PDA

View Full Version : Could use a hand if one is available! Please!

'95Cougar_XR-7
11-20-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm not an SC (I know I know hatred starts now.) haha. Well I'm doing the T-45 swap into my 4.6 and I got my clutch pedal in...but I can't get the top bolt in to help alleviate the pressure off the firewall's 3 bolts. It's a '95 cougar so everything went pretty smoothly, but if anyone is willing to come by and help me get my dash the rest of the way out and get this darn bolt in I'd be really appreciative! It's the only thing holding me back right now. The top 5 dash bolts are off and all the bottom ones as well, it's pulled back about 4" but I can't get it out of the car. I'm doing this alone and a little help from someone who isn't doing this for the first time would be great! I hope to have the car shifting through gears in 3 weeks, but this is holding me up from going on base to do the actual install big time with the dash being off! I'm over on North Landing Road by Courthouse Estates, any help is wanted help! Thanks and I hope one of you can loan a hand for the sake of an hour or two!

frdlvr30
11-20-2010, 11:14 PM
You have the center console and the steering column out right?

'95Cougar_XR-7
11-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Yes the center console is out, the auto gear selector is still in place, and the steering wheel is detached just before it exits the firewall. Driver's seat is also out so it's easier to get in there.

frdlvr30
11-20-2010, 11:20 PM
You need the column out. Four 13mm bolts after the lower cover is off. Unhook the ignition and clockspring connectors. Brake to shift connector. Self explanatory once its dropped. Much lighter with the column out!!!! I have done this alone many times. I would help you, but I simply dont have the time right now. Im working 70 hours a week. And you are 30 minutes away!!!

'95Cougar_XR-7
11-20-2010, 11:24 PM
I'm already confused, there's a lot of wiring and connectors and such that' I'm really unfamiliar with. I wish you were closer I get the 13mm bolts need to come off but I really need someone to help me in person or post tons of pictures haha. It's my first time doing this.

frdlvr30
11-20-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm already confused, there's a lot of wiring and connectors and such that' I'm really unfamiliar with. I wish you were closer I get the 13mm bolts need to come off but I really need someone to help me in person or post tons of pictures haha. It's my first time doing this.

Its really not that bad....Just take your time. As far as getting the column out.....the center console is more difficult. Dont let the wires scare you. They are all part of the connectors and no two are the same. It is not bad.....really The column is always the first thing I pull. Much more room under there....

'95Cougar_XR-7
11-20-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm terrified lol and I don't want to yank on the dash and hear a "snap" and something breaks that's important or rare.

frdlvr30
11-20-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm terrified lol and I don't want to yank on the dash and hear a "snap" and something breaks that's important or rare.

I understand, but you need the column out. It is holding you back. You may even have enough room with it out.I'd be a little more scared of the tranny swap. What are you going to do for a modified crossmember?

z90sc
11-20-2010, 11:36 PM
....check your pm's
z

frdlvr30
11-20-2010, 11:39 PM
And there is nothing that is rare. They are the same parts as the Tbird. Body is just slightly different....Once you have the column and console out just pull on it a little and if it wont move you can tell what area is still bolted.

'95Cougar_XR-7
11-20-2010, 11:46 PM
I'll definately keep your tips in mind, I have someone local coming, thanks frdlvr i know if you had the time you'd be over to help in person, but I appreciate the online help!

'95Cougar_XR-7
11-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Still haven't gotten the pedal in. The dash is out now thanks to z90sc, I drilled the new hole where the clutch pedal wants to rest. Now getting a clip in there is the hard part.