5 speed to AOD swap (info needed)

Dustin Yenny

Ok, I want to put an automatic in my '91 SC. I have located a good rebuilt AOD from a '89 that has around 5K miles on it. I'm looking for any information from members concerning what I may need for this swap.

I know I will need the transmission, lines and probably the radiator. I don't think I will need any computers or wiring harnesses because the AOD is not computer controlled. I figure I'll probably need the TV cable. My '91 has upgraded rear end gears (3.27:1) which are stock AOD gears, I need to know if I'll need the AOD driveshaft or any other items????

Thanks for any help!

well, I actually went from an auto to a stick, but the things I know to be different are the driveshaft, tranny (obviously) the flywheel, and I think you covered the rest. have fun

I just scanned through TBK's article and noticed some things. He swapped out the starter, harness, crossmember, and some other items. I think I could go with an aftermarket transmission cooler that would cool as good or better and I wouldn't have to swap radiators. The only reason I can see swapping harnesses would be for the speedo/odo or whatever other connectors are on the transmission. I guess I'll have to find out if an '89 harness will work on my '91. I can probably attain a driveshaft from the parts car along with the flywheel from the engine also.

Do they call automatic flywheels "flexplates" or is this something different I would need to obtain.

Would the torque converter be part of the transmission?

Does anyone know if my 5 speed crossmember will work on the auto and if my 5 speed starter will work?

Flexplate would be the name for the automatic "flywheel" part. The torque converter is a separate part but is often included with the auto tranny. It bolts to the flexplate and slides over the input shaft to the tranny.

You'll need the auto shifter and the little tray that it sits in. You'll also need the black plastic top part from the auto center console. The wiring harness will need to be modifed or changed to provide the signals to the safety switch so the car cannot be started in gear.

Back