power steering pump pully

mike93sc

How tight should this be? I've rented the puller and the pully just won't budge. Got it soaking in some wd40 now. Has anyone run into this problem? Doing my mounts and this isn't even the hard part yet - YIKES!

Is it a power steering pulley puller? They are on there pretty good but mine doesn't "strain" the puller. A small 3 jaw puller won't remove it. I don't know if that helps

I've had to crank on them pretty hard, but they have always come off....

You can try some heat around the outer edge of the rim...

This will cause the pulley to expand and it might come off easier.....

It was an actual power steering pump pully puller and WOW was it tight. It did finally break loose after much persistence, patience, and sweat. It was mega tight all the way to the end. Anyway i continued to get both accessory brackets off (again some wicked tight bolts) and have come face to face with some toasted motor mounts. What is strange is that the motor mount bracket bolts and thru bolts weren't really that tight. What does eveyone do to replace the rubber stopper on the driver side mount bracket. Mine is basically worn shredded gone. Thanks in advance for reading my status and for any suggestions you may provide.

Thanks,

Mike

i left mine off. all that was left was a metal clip. after seeing my motor mounts, i decided to never use fluid filled mounts. mine were just metal discs. no rubber left. i also did my tranny mount. my tranny crossmember bushings were rough too. i couldn't find new ones so i used washers to squeeze the rubber tighter. it's a bandaid. while your at it, check your pinion bushings. mine had a 1/4" gap on each. basically, my whole differential would shift and clunk when i gave it gas. i couldn't find them either so i cut a 3/8" off the shaft inside the bushing and put a couple washers behind to keep it straight. its nice and tight now. of course, new bushings would be fantastic but i haven't located any yet.

Looks like replacing my PS/alternator bracket is going to be a much bigger job than I thought. Can the PS pully be pulled with the engine still in the car?

I just pulled mine yesterday, came right off with a Harbor Freight pulley remover tool. Re-instaled it witht he same tool. I suspect I may have set it too deep, I forgot to notice the clearance between the pulley and the mounting plate/frame.

Back