Too much gas!

SOLOSC91

My 91 is getting way too much gas, im going to start with the basics i guess, but im thinking O2 sensors? Maf and anything else you guys would suggest?

Had abought with it yesterday, would only crank sometimes fire and then backfire, pulled the plugs quick(LOL) hard start turning over and over but finally started but black smoke and lots of gas smell. let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Get someone to pull the codes and see if that points to anything. Excess fuel is typically a stuck injector or or bad fuel pressure regulator. Assuming stock injectors, an o2 sensor isn't likely to cause instant flooding unless the air temp is really low, or the car normally starts terrible.

Hey thanx, got it, fuel pressure regulator on the Nose!.. But one last thing then my bird is road worthy.

Starts and Idles perfect , put it into gear and she wants to die i have to assist it from dying, driving around with it and it runs ~~~~~~ in gear, it chugs.

tonite i will be looking at TPS and IAC but any tips anyone has would be great. by the way in case anyone asks No codes(Checked even though there is no check engine light).

Thanks

Actually i bought this from a guy 4 years ago for 200 bucks, 90000 mile car with a reman engine dated 2004, needed a tranny, heater fan, brakes and other misc interior stuff , so basically it's never ran correctly since i got it.

I have changed Tranny and TV cable, fuel regulator, coil pack and DIS, and plugs, going to change PCV and clean throttle body as it looks a little gummed up from K&N and clean MAF as well, i will be doing this stuff tonite.

Any other ideas would be great.

So it has never run right, and likely something went wrong which led to the guy parking it and then you bought it with the problem.

Since you are not getting any codes, you should start with mechanical issues. Cleaning the MAF and throttle body are a good start. Is the IAC motor connector connected? (mounted on the throttle body, it controls idle)

Check over the motor and make sure there are no vacuum leaks. Check all the hoses, and then check all the blower intake fittings. Check all the ignition wires and make sure nothing has rubbed through or is arcing against anything. If you haven't yet, change the fuel filter.

Actually i bought this from a guy 4 years ago for 200 bucks, 90000 mile car with a reman engine dated 2004, needed a tranny, heater fan, brakes and other misc interior stuff , so basically it's never ran correctly since i got it.

I have changed Tranny and TV cable, fuel regulator, coil pack and DIS, and plugs, going to change PCV and clean throttle body as it looks a little gummed up from K&N and clean MAF as well, i will be doing this stuff tonite.

Any other ideas would be great.

Does it still have the same 4 year old gas in the tank ?

David

Back