Stripping Valve Covers

Raymondo

Has anyone been successful in stripping the magnesium valve covers and repainting them? If so, what was used to remove the factory paint/coating and what was used to repaint/recoat them?

Thanks!
Ray

Last edited:
I used a spray can paint remover from Home Depot, bead blasted the little that was left, then used flat black High-Temp engine paint.

Attachments

• HPIM0915.JPG
    HPIM0915.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 188
Same stripping as DLF. I powder coated mine.
DSC08064.jpg

DSC08078.jpg

I manually removed mine with a scraper ... it was annoying, but not too hard. Then I repainted with VHT black wrinkle finish engine paint. They look pretty good. Good enough for where they sit on the engine.

I scraped all the loose paint off, then sand blasted the rest. My '94 valve covers were a less-than-perfect casting to start with, so I used a red scotch-brite 2" disc on a compressed air surface prep tool to smooth things out,

Then I powdercoated it wrinkle black.

Jeramie

Attachments

• valvecovers.jpg
    valvecovers.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 153
I know this is a deep thread bump. I just thought I would post my results with the VHT wrinkle black engine paint on my 1990's stock magnesium valve covers.

Well, it looked good for a while, but it is mostly gone now. The paint peeled off in big crackly sheets. The adhesion to the magnesium just wasn't good long-term.

I have researched the topic a little bit, and it sounds like I may have gotten ahead of myself. Apparently, there is a product called a "conversion coating" that should be used like a primer when painting magnesium. It seems to generate an oxide on the surface to which paint can securely stick. Obviously, I did not do that. So that may be my problem.

I also read that Ford probably used an alloy of magnesium and aluminum. I don't have any further information on it. Does anyone know for sure?

So, I am thinking of having my covers powdercoated back to a factory black. I am going to call the local place and ask if they are familiar with magnesium. They seem a little expensive ($75 for V6 valve covers in black or white, much more for any other color), but they also seem pretty professional. Does anyone have any advice about the topic?

Or you can find a pair of '93 SC steel valve covers and paint them with a wrinkle finish, that's what I just did.

I know this is a deep thread bump. I just thought I would post my results with the VHT wrinkle black engine paint on my 1990's stock magnesium valve covers.

Well, it looked good for a while, but it is mostly gone now. The paint peeled off in big crackly sheets. The adhesion to the magnesium just wasn't good long-term.

I have researched the topic a little bit, and it sounds like I may have gotten ahead of myself. Apparently, there is a product called a "conversion coating" that should be used like a primer when painting magnesium. It seems to generate an oxide on the surface to which paint can securely stick. Obviously, I did not do that. So that may be my problem.

I also read that Ford probably used an alloy of magnesium and aluminum. I don't have any further information on it. Does anyone know for sure?
H
So, I am thinking of having my covers powdercoated back to a factory black. I am going to call the local place and ask if they are familiar with magnesium. They seem a little expensive ($75 for V6 valve covers in black or white, much more for any other color), but they also seem pretty professional. Does anyone have any advice about the topic?
I can powder coat your covers for 35 in black or 40 in your color of choice.

I can powder coat your covers for 35 in black or 40 in your color of choice.

Thank you; I am interested for sure! However, I am not sure when I will next have the car down for repairs. I don't have a spare set handy to prepare ahead of time.

Thank you; I am interested for sure! However, I am not sure when I will next have the car down for repairs. I don't have a spare set handy to prepare ahead of time.

I have a set of early model valve covers I could strip and powder coat for you. Just send me yours back.

Back