Firm Ride

IMPORTDESTROYER

Hi, I have a slight problem, although, not really a problem, just more of an annoyance. Regardless of whether the switch is in the 'on' position, or the 'automatic', the light stays on, and the ride firmness does not change(stuck in the on postion). If anyone has any suggestions, as to why this may be, please help.

Thanx
Luke

Many factors influence this system.

1. Faulty console switch. (Most likely)

Other inputs that tell the system to goto FIRM are.
1. Accelerator position. Degree of pedal depression. (Signal from EEC, most likely throttle position sensor)
2. Brake system pressure. (Brake pressure switch)
3. Vehicle Speed. (From Transmission)
4. Lateral acceleration (Turn Angle)

Hi, guys.

If I may, I was looking at the 90 shop manual about this situation and it has you go through tests for shorts in the signals from those sensors and then test the ARC computer. Does the ARC computer very often go bad? I haven't noticed it to be a particular problem. Thanks.

Ford is usually pretty good with electronics. I doubt the ARC computer is bad.
I would try unplugging the center console switch. If the firm ride light goes off once the car is started...BINGO.

Not sure if yours is the same as my 89xr7 but in the console where the harness connects to the switch mine has 2 harnesses. The blue one is the one that should be connected to the switch. I once hooked up the wrong one and what you describe happened to me.

I had the same problem. My ARC was stuck in firm regardless of switch position. I disconnected the switch and now the ARC turns on/off seemingly at random. I'm in the process of moving so haven't had a chance to look into further. Is there a simple way to test the switch?

Using a multi-meter set on Ohms, you could do a continuity test. Common sense tells me that the switch should be open on the "Auto" position and closed on the "Firm" position.

89xr7man

as you stated in your XR7 there are two wire harness's in the center console where your ride control switch is?...

Do you have any idea what the other is for?...

Hint.. Ride control is using the plug with only two wires in it..

Other plug with three wires in it.. is for the optionall Fog Lights... find a car with the center console that has both fogs and ride control.. and then get outside foglights w/brackets.. hook it all up.. and whaaammm. you have original looking fog lights..

Which were only offered in XR7's in 1991 and 1992

Karl

My brake pressure switch was leaking and malfunctioning and this caused my ARC to stay in firm mode. I just replaced the switch two days ago and the problem went away.

It is about an $85 part and it takes about ten minutes to replace from underneath the car. If it is dripping it will only get worse.

Hope this helps.

Bob

This brake pressure switch... Were you burning any of the leaking brake fluid and getting occasional white smoke?

No, It was not burning any brake fluid. It was dripping on the ground and that was it. I think that there are other parts of the brake system that can leak and cause the exact problem that you describe.

I don't have the part number with me but I will post it tonight for you.

Bob

Back