Is this worth $1200

JeepsterSC

I'm thinking of buying this 94 5 speed. The guy drove it into a guard rail just a few hurs before I called about it. I've always wanted an SC in this color and my wife (mellbutler) has an LX in this color. So I have the parts to fix it. I didnt want to pay more than $1000 though. The car is in Conneticut so I have no way of being able to look at it without taking time off work. Some outside input would be helpful. Thank you
Matt

Last edited:
I would say YES it is worth it if the powertrain is good. But I am sure you could talk him to $1000 with all the time and money it is going to take to bring it back... ;)

Ask him if you could fly in and drive it home (except the headlight issue)

Coordinate for parts from his local area, fly in, buy it, put in a new header panel and lights from a bone yard or mail the stuff you have to him and then drive it home.

Agree w/ regul8r

As long as the car runs good and there's no transmission issues, I'd say go for it! There aren't alot of 5sp 94's runnin around. If I had the $ & the spare parts layin around, I would jump on it myself.

The only thing I worry about is extensve underbody rust. I wish I could see the rocker seams near the rear wheel well

Last edited:
The only thing I worry about is extensve underbody rust. I wish I could see the rocker seams near the rear wheel well

If you're concerned about it, either see if the seller can get some pictures, see if someone local go look at it, or move on. 94/95 5spds are harder to find, but you can still find them.

I sent him an email. I told him to open the door and take pictures of the visible side of the rocker panels and the seam of the bottom of the doors. I also asked if he could jack it up and get pictures of the rocker seams. If the rocker seams are still in tact, I'll move on it. My wife and I bought one that looked spotless when we jacked up the front end, when we got it home we discovered that the foot panels under the back seat were completely disintergrated and there were fist sized holes near the rear wheel weel at the rocker seams:rolleyes:

look at the engine pic...looks to me that the oil filler cap is missing...if so, i wonder how long it's been off and what has fallen or crawled inside...

something just doesn't seem right with this situation. The bumper was either previously repained & or replaced allready and now wrecked again. And it looks like it has been sitting for a while, idk, maybe? We called to talk to the guy and when we asked how far he was from new york he had to ask his mom! Something just doesn't sit right. But we will be out that way to pick up a car in NY for my mom so we can swing by and look at it. and he hasn't wrote back about more under body pics.....

Should've bought mine Mel!!

I sent him an email. I told him to open the door and take pictures of the visible side of the rocker panels and the seam of the bottom of the doors. I also asked if he could jack it up and get pictures of the rocker seams. If the rocker seams are still in tact, I'll move on it. My wife and I bought one that looked spotless when we jacked up the front end, when we got it home we discovered that the foot panels under the back seat were completely disintergrated and there were fist sized holes near the rear wheel weel at the rocker seams:rolleyes:

You should have bought my '94 5-speed Mel!!

something just doesn't seem right with this situation. The bumper was either previously repained & or replaced allready and now wrecked again. And it looks like it has been sitting for a while, idk, maybe? We called to talk to the guy and when we asked how far he was from new york he had to ask his mom! Something just doesn't sit right. But we will be out that way to pick up a car in NY for my mom so we can swing by and look at it. and he hasn't wrote back about more under body pics.....

Sounds like you're gut may be saying no.. And if so, I say move on. There will be others. You just have to be patient :eek:

I would leave it alone simply from the underneath pictures that I have seen. Underage kid owning it would be strike number two. Like others have said if it seems wrong, just skip it. Another one will show up and maybe it wont be from the far NE...

Looks like the body gypsies got to the deck lid. The front end is an easy fix, looks like the radiator support is in good shape so just a header panel and all the other fixings will get it back on the road. If the rust isn't too bad I'd take it. See if you can get him to sell it for $800 first, tell them it's a ~~~ and they're lucky you’re willing to give them that. You never know maybe they don’t know the rarity of a late model SC 5speed.

Back