Burning Wires!!!

SCDIAMOND

Background, when I bought the car the fan was hardwired to a switch. I immediately took out the switch and found why the fan did not work. The fusible link wire had been cut. I rewire the fan back to factory specs and all was good. Last week a friend was driving the car and said when he got home it smelt funny, he thought it was overheating so he put water in the radiator. Something I never do. Upon getting it to my house I realize that the fan was not coming on and the fusible link wire by the battery was burnt up.

I replace the part of the wire that was burnt with 10ga wire thinking the wire was to small in the first place. I started the car and everything was fine, until I turned the air conditioning on to force the fan to come on. I saw smoke coming from the fan and the wire by the battery. The wire has started to burn again I immediately shut off the car remove the fan from the car. I saw that the wire to the fan was Burnt at the fan motor and had fused with the other two wires. Also the fan was hard to turn by hand in either direction. My thoughts was that the fan motor went bad and froze up.

My question is if the fan motor burn up and freeze can that cause the wires to heat up and melt, if so do I just need to replace the fan motor and all of the wiring between the fan and IRCM and the battery?

Last edited:
A seizing/burnt up fan will cause a higher load then the wiring can handle, causing the wiring to melt of not burn.

I think it may be a good idea to redo all the wiring for the fan, or least check it over to see if the insulation melted and replace as needed..

And replace the Fusible link with another

I will replace the fuseable link. I am going to order a new fan motor from Autozone this week. $100 oh that hurt but at least it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Back