wheel spin with 10" tire

91BLOWNBIRD

So I am spinning them in 1st gear off the line all the way up the RPMs and I have 10" tire, 2.73 gears, and somewhere around upper 300 rwtq...

I'm guessing a good tire will probably solve this problem...or am I just throttling too hard off the line?

So I am spinning them in 1st gear off the line all the way up the RPMs and I have 10" tire, 2.73 gears, and somewhere around upper 300 rwtq...

I'm guessing a good tire will probably solve this problem...or am I just throttling too hard off the line?

You talking about on the street or at the track? At the track good tires will fix that problem. On the street there is no cure. :p

YOur tires are hard in the cold. unless you warm them up you will have traction problems. That and the fact that your car is performing much better with the cold weather. Problaly making 10-20HP more then if you were in a hot summer day.

You need to switch to a rubber compound more suitable for temperatures under 40 degrees.

Try running a old school snow tire.

A little lower PSI in the tire will help as well. I know a guy who was running to much air in his Nittos and his car was really all over under acceleration:rolleyes:

Ken

It's easy...just stop pushing the gas pedal so hard. If it makes you feel any better, I can't get traction in 1st or 2nd gear at wide open throttle on my street tires either...even at the track with VHT.

David

Summer spec tires become very hard and they loose their high friction coefficient when the temperature drops below around 70f. A full winter or a Mud and Snow tire will give you much better street traction, though a soft foot will still be required when launching.

Regardless, simply put, the amount of energy required to move a nearly 2 ton vehicle from a stop in a short period of time is often more than the friction available at the tire contact patch. If you don't want to spin, you have to apply less power.

lol. surprises me when all i have to do is stomp on the go pedal from idle and my 94 auto will burn 255 michelin pilots. :)

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about with summer tires vs. winter tires. Are you mad? lol. The guy lives in CA, he's not going to buy winter tires. Not to mention they won't grip any better anyway due to the higher void ratio of a winter type tire, instead you'll just end up blowing chunks of rubber all over the place.

Any SC with decent power is going to destroy any tire you put under it in first gear on the street. It will be just as bad at the track unless you put on track tires which is why I asked track or street. On the track with a 10" race tire you can have traction problems if you don't do things right also, it's just that there is a solution whereas on the street there is none. Nitto Drag radials might come close to helping but you'll still spin them and they won't last very long.

1st gear.... :rolleyes:... you ain't got nothing to complain about till you can break the tires loose on dry pavement at 60mph... now there's something to hang onto about ;).

Fraser

I'm not sure what you guys are talking about when implying the SC does this due to power. 1998 Dodge Durango... wheel spin off the line in cool weather (limited slip). 1993 Crown Vic... wheel spin off the line in cool weather.

Heavy vehicles, limited friction, force applied to change state= wheel spin. Physics. It doesn't take all that much power.

off the line is one thing...but all the way through 1st and about a 1/4 of the way through 2nd is crazy...all the way through 2nd is insane!

it definitely got the attention on the 96 cobra next to me...he said he couldn't even hear his X-pipe side exhaust over my car's wine and dine

I stayed with him even burning rubber and then got traction and said bye bye...we stopped and talked about it afterwards and I think he wanted like an autographed photo of my car or something lol

I know it kind of seems like I go hunting for street prey but I really just run into these guys like every few hours out here in the South Bay...a SRT-8 charger challenged me on the freeway later that day as well and he put up about the same fight the new 5.0 did

Back