Does the whole front end have to come off to swap the the headlight header panel?

phils89sc

I was in a bit of an argument with the back end of an f150 with a huge trailer hitch this evening and let's just say that my passenger side headlight and header panel gave up the fight! No damage to the F-150 thank God (can you sense the sarcasm?)! Does the whole bumper cover have to come off to change the headlight header panel ?

I think it can be done with the bumper cover still on, but it might take a little prying and pulling to get it off and back on....

You will crack paint if its not the original paint. If you are pulling it from the junk yard you might but will leave the other guy that needs a bumper without one.

From what I recall, it's a real pain trying to sneak the header panel out. I gave up on it. You are probably better off just removing the bumper cover. It's not too terrible. Some braces in the center, 2 bolts at each side, screws to the fender liner.

there is a screw under each turn signal lamp (up under headlamps) one on each side. then remove the front part of fender liner and fish your hands up there behind the side turn signal lamps (if you have a 1989-1993) up there you will feel around and find two bolts (or a bolt and a nut, like my car) and removed them from each side. Along the bottom will be some plastic rivits to remove and then the bumper cover is cliped into the center bracket i used a flat blade screw driver to gently pry the thick plastic clips up and slid the bumper cover off and un hooked side lights and it was done.

easy just sounds more complicated than it is.

do yourself a favor and remove the bumper cover as they are getting hard to find anywhere it seems.

Headlight Panel...

My boyfriend the body guy says you should prolly take off the bumper cover. It is do-able with it on, but its alot easier to just take it off :)

Back