Monroe Quick Strut works?

Drummer

Since I buy nothing for my SC without asking here first, except for gas, I thought I would share this. Went to the Advanced Auto Parts web site looking for any strut to replace the OEM 20+ year old struts I have on it now. The Tokiko er whatever they are that are ungodly expensive is not an option at this time so I thought I would venture out into the big unknown. I saw some Monroe struts that might fit the bill and sent an email to the technical pros at Advance. 1 month later this reply came.

Your question about: Quick-Strut has been answered.

On 11/04/2010 you asked the following question at Advance Auto Parts

"Will these fit a Thunderbird SC with auto-ride suspension?"

Parts Guru Geo from AAP said:

"Yes, this will fit a Thunderbird SC with auto-ride suspension."

You read it. I do know there are jack-loads of posts about shocks here but came up with nothing when I did a search for "Monroe". Is this a case like the one where I was Bit%^ slapped about the morons telling me they had chrome valve covers that would fit the SC? The part number is 171845L. "L" being left I think. Below is the picture of the strut. Please advise.

Attachments

• 15930112_mon_171845l_pri_larg.jpg
    15930112_mon_171845l_pri_larg.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Of course the Monroes will fit the SC. You can also get Gabriel, KYB, Bilstein, Koni, etc for the SC, all of which will bolt in and work just fine, but, the only ones you can buy that will bolt in and retain your automatic ride control are the Tokico Illumina II's. All others, with the exception of the Koni's are non adjustable. I have Bilstein on my 89, and they are ok, but, the first $500 extra I get, is going towards a new set of the Tokicos. Just my 2 cents!

I thought I was clear on the question. I enjoy the auto-ride and want to retain the original components as they were engineered and designed.

I thought I was clear on the question. I enjoy the auto-ride and want to retain the original components as they were engineered and designed.

they will tell you that because when they look it up it says ford thunderbird, all trim, all engines use the same strut, and in actuallity they do, just only one has the auto ride technology.

so when you asked if it fits a thunderbird sc with auto ride they look up thunderbird sc and it says yes so thats what they will tell you.

same thing happened to me with summit racing and there underdrive pulleys they sell, there application chart says they will fit a thunderbird, with 5.0, and 3.8. it also lists a Thunderbird SC but as we know on here the pulley will not work on a SC because the crank pulley is unique to the Super coupe but there catalog clearly says it will fit.....

it gets even more strange when you start dealing with engine components and parts houses...

they will tell you that because when they look it up it says ford thunderbird, all trim, all engines use the same strut, and in actuallity they do, just only one has the auto ride technology.

so when you asked if it fits a thunderbird sc with auto ride they look up thunderbird sc and it says yes so thats what they will tell you.

same thing happened to me with summit racing and there underdrive pulleys they sell, there application chart says they will fit a thunderbird, with 5.0, and 3.8. it also lists a Thunderbird SC but as we know on here the pulley will not work on a SC because the crank pulley is unique to the Super coupe but there catalog clearly says it will fit.....

it gets even more strange when you start dealing with engine components and parts houses...
If this site weren't here I think allot of people would be frustrated to the point of selling their cars. I make NO move without consulting this site first. To many people have "Been there, done that".

I dont miss my auto ride suspension one bit

I second that!

Vogtland 1.6" drop springs and KYB shocks, new upper shock mounts, new Spring isolators NO ISSUES.

Maybe my BUTT DYNO was out of calibration but I did not see/feel enough of a difference in a daily driver to warrant all that money on Tokico ARC shocks!

ARC opinions...

I wouldn't try to push a non-adjustable strut/shock on anyone...It is a matter of personal preference. I like them because I can choose a comfortable ride or a performance ride. I also have a bad back.

ARC opinions...

I have a question regarding the ARC system because I no longer have the Antilock brake system and from reading different post on brake conversions and such I am a little confused ( not unusual ) about the ARC working or not working without the antilock brake system removed and I thought that I read somewhere they the two were kind of linked ( computer/function? ).
My ride button works as in the light in the dash coming on and off with the rocker switch. Is there anyway to test if they actually engage/work?
My keester can't tell any difference with the switch on or off.
Thanks for the always fantastic input.. :confused:

I have a question regarding the ARC system because I no longer have the Antilock brake system and from reading different post on brake conversions and such I am a little confused ( not unusual ) about the ARC working or not working without the antilock brake system removed and I thought that I read somewhere they the two were kind of linked ( computer/function? ).
My ride button works as in the light in the dash coming on and off with the rocker switch. Is there anyway to test if they actually engage/work?
My keester can't tell any difference with the switch on or off.
Thanks for the always fantastic input.. :confused:

They are only linked in that there is a brake pressure sensor on the lines near the driver's side front inner fender. When it senses brake pressure (I think the threshold is 400 psi), it switches to Firm mode.

If the shocks were bound up or the actuators worn out, I think the ARC computer would warn you by blinking the Firm Ride light on the dash. But as to how much resistance the shocks are actually giving you ... I don't have a spec or easy way to check it.

On my car, I can tell which mode I am in when I hit bumps.

ARC opinions...

They are only linked in that there is a brake pressure sensor on the lines near the driver's side front inner fender. When it senses brake pressure (I think the threshold is 400 psi), it switches to Firm mode.

If the shocks were bound up or the actuators worn out, I think the ARC computer would warn you by blinking the Firm Ride light on the dash. But as to how much resistance the shocks are actually giving you ... I don't have a spec or easy way to check it.

On my car, I can tell which mode I am in when I hit bumps.

Thanks for the information and I paid specific attention to how the car rides with or without the switch on and when driving on a rough road on the way home I did notice a difference so to my most happy surprise my ARC system still works after 204,000 miles I guess Ford designed them right!:D

Back