T/O bearing Q's

Coast to Coast SC

I thought I had diagnosed a bad T/O bearing about six weeks ago. I was waiting until I had the $$$ to do a proper job of it (P-plate, disc, T/O bearing, rear main, pilot bearing) then Mon. morning the noise changed. I used to be able to make the noise change with the clutch but now it is there regardless. It goes away after 10-12 minutes of normal driving but during those first ~10 min. clutch position has no effect on it. If I force an abnormally low idle (idle up a hill in 1st) it goes away but comes back as soon as the RPM's climb above ~900. The car has 113,xxx on the original pieces so a clutch should be done anyway, but should I set aside some more for a bad framus(insert your diagnosed failure here)? Give me your thoughts here please. I will be ready to do the clutch the first weekend of Nov. but if the shopping list is growing I'd like to be prepared. Towing is free and I'll be triple dipped if our Vette becomes the commuter mobile for me unless I really need to so. I will most likely drive the SC to and from work (200miles/week) until Nov. or failure (whichever comes first). Let me know your thoughts as I am unsure myself.

Anthony

Could be throwout bearing. If it's anything like my Ranger 4X4, it will be a plastic slave cylinder, with the T/O bearing integrated all into one unit.
It could maybe be the input shaft bearing on the tranny too. Don't go too hard on it. If you are in neutral and push your foot on the clutch and the noise rolls to a stop, I would suspect the tranny bearings, but if it's still there....clutch is most likely the problem.

No stopping it..

Thanks guys,
The noise will not stop nor change regardless of clutch position. It does respond to RPM changes though. Is there a way to check the input shaft bearing while the tranny is out?

Anthony

Back