new rotor packs question ?

rapper33142

Can a new rotor pack that fits the m-90 be made to get more out of the m-90 or mpx with 4 lobes like the tvs one . What do u guys think thanks .

does anybody think that a new rotor pack would work or all that could be done has been done with these M-90's

sure could. There was a company that made carbon fiber or graphite ones..I tried getting ahold of them awhile back but he wasnt letting go of what he had produced.

anything can be done at a cost

I think that it would be a pretty much pointless exercise. There are several considerations that make it simply impractical on several levels.

sure could. There was a company that made carbon fiber or graphite ones..I tried getting ahold of them awhile back but he wasnt letting go of what he had produced.

anything can be done at a cost
I thinks so to if a new rotor pack could give us 30 - 50 hp more i would do it and it could cost a lot less then a AR kit or any of the tiwn blowers out there

I thinks so to if a new rotor pack could give us 30 - 50 hp more i would do it and it could cost a lot less then a AR kit or any of the tiwn blowers out there

Just putting new rotors into an existing case isn't going to yeild anything close to those numbers, and may even make less power than stock. The entire supercharger has to be changed. The gear drive arrangment is different on twin screws with the male and female rotors turning at different speeds. The inlet design is different, the outlet design is different, the case tolerances are different, and on and on..It's Apples & Oranges. You can just stick a set of twin screw rotors into a roots blower case and expect more power. Most of the same problems exist for using TVS rotors.

Why would you think making a limited quanity of custom rotors to fit into an M90 case would be any cheaper than buying a mass produced blower assembly ?

David

Last edited:
Just putting new rotors into an existing case isn't going to yeild anything close to those numbers, and may even make less power than stock. The entire supercharger has to be changed. The gear drive arrangment is different on twin screws with the male and female rotors turning at different speeds. The inlet design is different, the outlet design is different, the case tolerances are different, and on and on..It's Apples & Oranges. You can just stick a set of twin screw rotors into a roots blower case and expect more power. Most of the same problems exist for using TVS rotors.

Why would you think making a limited quanity of custom rotors to fit into an M90 case would be any cheaper than buying a mass produced blower assembly ?

i was thinking that because the blowers are the 2k and then u got to find someone to make the kit to fit the sc . but i get what your saying now about the rotors have to match the case

A new set of mass produced M90 rotors are around $1000. How much do you think a set of one-off custom rotors are going to cost? Add to that the fact that all existing M90 inlet plenums have insufficient flow to support even an MPX, and you suddenly have a recipe for epic failure. Using a brand new blower puts you way ahead before you even start.

ok thanks for all the info u guys r right wow 1000 bucks for a rotor pack wow
I don't understand why you say "wow". The rotor pack is the biggest part of the whole blower. The MPX case is only $650 or so and the snout isn't anything fancy either. If the MPX case were mass produced the cost for it would probably be more like $200. You just have to keep all of it in perspective. It's much easier to make static, external pieces such as brackets and plenums than make parts that have to turn at 15000+RPM with .005" tolerance.

This has been discussed many times and it just doesn't make any sense. If you made a modern 4 lobe rotor pack to fit inside an M90 case, it wouldn't move enough air to make it worthwhile because you'd still be faced with insufficient blower displacement and extreme pulley rpms that are currently killing the current M90. Then if you make the rotors bigger, that then requires a bigger case. Bigger case + set of custom rotors, now you've just spent a whole wad of money and guess what - the longer blower case no longer fits on top of the motor. Hmmm. Well now what? Keep in mind that the MPX already outflows the current MP plenum, so now you need to make a higher flowing plenum that fits in less space than you already had.

See what I mean? It just isn't physically possible without redesigning the whole package and in that case why not just buy a whole blower upgrade and make it work without custom building a blower that you aren't even sure is going to work 100%.

So there you have it. Believe me, this stuff has been thought about in the past. There are reasons why we are doing the things we are, its not just random.

I don't understand why you say "wow". The rotor pack is the biggest part of the whole blower. The MPX case is only $650 or so and the snout isn't anything fancy either. If the MPX case were mass produced the cost for it would probably be more like $200. You just have to keep all of it in perspective. It's much easier to make static, external pieces such as brackets and plenums than make parts that have to turn at 15000+RPM with .005" tolerance.

This has been discussed many times and it just doesn't make any sense. If you made a modern 4 lobe rotor pack to fit inside an M90 case, it wouldn't move enough air to make it worthwhile because you'd still be faced with insufficient blower displacement and extreme pulley rpms that are currently killing the current M90. Then if you make the rotors bigger, that then requires a bigger case. Bigger case + set of custom rotors, now you've just spent a whole wad of money and guess what - the longer blower case no longer fits on top of the motor. Hmmm. Well now what? Keep in mind that the MPX already outflows the current MP plenum, so now you need to make a higher flowing plenum that fits in less space than you already had.

See what I mean? It just isn't physically possible without redesigning the whole package and in that case why not just buy a whole blower upgrade and make it work without custom building a blower that you aren't even sure is going to work 100%.

So there you have it. Believe me, this stuff has been thought about in the past. There are reasons why we are doing the things we are, its not just random.
i understand i get it now dave thanks :)

I'm thinking their's more room back to the firewall than people realize.

Just don't assume the existing return entrance on the manifold is an obstacle.

Paul

Paul

I think alot of us are already aware of the room back there, but the problem is the intake manifold and how air flows into it and through. You start angling things back to make more room by modiyfing the inlet into the manifold you will make an already bad problem alot more worse with cylinders 3 and 6.

Its not as easy as you think it is otherwise it would have already been done.

Fraser

Paul
Who are you speaking to here, just the general public or someone who might be able to make something work? For the general public, a custom blower, custom inlet, AND custom return AND custom intake manifold aren't really practical options. Just trying to be reasonable. If you are speaking to someone who might be able to make something - rest assured that all options have already been considered. ;) Any decision on what to do is always a compromise between cost, functionality, convenience, and performance.

As I said before, no one is covering new ground here. :cool:

Back