rate the thunderbird sc...

mmathews

ok, so i am not a fountain of automobile information. i am learning :rolleyes: i've owned a bunch of cars. between my ex's, my job and personal, i've owned a few rides including 2 sc's. a '91 and my current '94. so how fast is a stock or modded thunderbird sc? and how would you rate them as far as ford getting the most out of an engine vs others? my sc could definately be a good bit faster from the factory. almost seems like it was turned down a notch. where as honda seems pretty good at gettin the most out of their cars. of the cars i've owned, my 3.8 bonneville was the closest competiter. close race til about 50 mph then it got whooped. i drove some bonneville ssei's and i thought my se was faster, or equal. i hear some hype from the grand prix guys sayin an sc would get beat bad by their supercharged gp.

you can only do so much with a front wheel drive SC...we have guys in the 12s all day long and a few in the 11s and maybe even 10s

as far as a car that ford got the most out of the engine I would say no...buy a terminator Cobra and spend $1k and you have 450rwhp...just my thoughts

A lot of guys here do some charger posrting and heads and cam and tuning and get low 13s easy

My experience with the SC is that you really just have to love these cars to spend $ on them cause they bite back

i definately love the cars. they have always been my favorite car. i really don't care all that much about having a 10 second car. my car has some rough spots, thanks to the tard that used to own it. it turns heads still. people that know what they are are always stoppin by to check it out. and the teenagers that cruise our strip sometimes get it handed to them by an old mans sports car ;) it wouldn't be fair to compare it to a mustang, vette, viper..ect. thats not what the car is. stock anyway. i like the platform to build from though.

i hear some hype from the grand prix guys sayin an sc would get beat bad by their supercharged gp.

Twice a year, in Iowa, we have had the club clash which is the Pontiac club vs the supercoupe club. In the spring 09 I had no problem beating them even giving up a couple of seconds head start to some. They seem to have a better top end but lack off the line. This year the spring run was called for rain and I couldnt make the fall meet.

Ken

ok, so i am not a fountain of automobile information. i am learning :rolleyes: i've owned a bunch of cars. between my ex's, my job and personal, i've owned a few rides including 2 sc's. a '91 and my current '94. so how fast is a stock or modded thunderbird sc? and how would you rate them as far as ford getting the most out of an engine vs others? my sc could definately be a good bit faster from the factory. almost seems like it was turned down a notch. where as honda seems pretty good at gettin the most out of their cars. of the cars i've owned, my 3.8 bonneville was the closest competiter. close race til about 50 mph then it got whooped. i drove some bonneville ssei's and i thought my se was faster, or equal. i hear some hype from the grand prix guys sayin an sc would get beat bad by their supercharged gp.

Well given the OEM configuration the SC has a much higher ceiling than GPT--SC has a IC. Plus IMO whats the point of having a Roots blower if you must have a torque management system to save your transaxle.

If you want a fair comparison put a MPX on both and see what happens.

I had 96 3.8 Cougar and my buddy had a GEN 2 3.8 Bonneville off the line he was faster but after that my Cougar would pull away (FWD v RWD).

My SC has been the most fun car I've owned/driven, but also the most temperamental, the 5.0 bird is decent middle ground, though sometimes I wish I had bought that Marauder.

I own both. The GP is quicker off the line but at about 90mph its done with a 3.29 final drive gear. And the GP is not Inner Cooled so plenty of time has to be had between races.

SC is much more fun to drive and the IC setup is great compared to the no IC.

If I was to put a GP against SC I would take the GP if the SC was an auto, but if the SC was a 5spd i would take that.

The Iowa Clash is fun every year, but the GP boys stopped showing up. Interesting how that happens. There are a lot more parts available and cheaper to be had for the GP, but FWD sucks for dragging IMO and the transmission is a toss away part and get another one. Intake is a ton better on the GP vs the SC. Rockers, rods and cold air for the intake are easier on the GP.

SC just flat more fun to drive and handles a lot better. We are also comparing cars that are 10 years apart or at the closest 2 years apart.

Back