best way to launch at track with street tires?

91BLOWNBIRD

what is the best way to launch at the track with street tires? I would probably only be truly interested in the ET...

drop a couple lb#'s of tire pressure and launch as hard as u can without spinning the tires it take's lots of practice...

5 speed or auto? auto, just powerbrake until the car starts to lurch forward, thats your stall speed. when the tree comes down let off the brake and mash the gas....

on a manual... well, dont drop pressure. i had wheelspin worse on my 95 when i did that. leave it as it is and ease into the throttle without bogging.

i find that the only way to get a 5spd to hook is by lugging it, slippin the launch makes a mess

it takes a little practice and to each their own but i've found that holding the rev's up to about 2k then backing off the clutch quickly and applying throttle puts the tires right on the edge of spinning

all my cars have cooper cs4 t rated touring tires so its not exactly a performance tire but they seem to do pretty well with that method

i have a auto so i hold the brake and rev it up to 2k and let of the brake at the last yellow slowly pressing the gas my best 60ft is 2.041

my best has been 2.02 60ft air the rears down to 20 psi air the front's up to 45psi
leave from idle and roll into the throttle. i am running 245/45/17 rieken raptors

its a 5-speed and it has 18s with 275/35 tires so airing down probably wont happen...

I was thinking just easing into the launch might be best because 1st gear is just gonna roast the tires no matter what if I got 3/4+ throttle

Just get slicks and call it a day :rolleyes:

The best I could ever get the car to do with street tires is a 13.5et at 108mph and that was with a 2.1 60'. My car is an auto and I had a 2400 stall in it at the time.

Since then I've done alot of upgrades to the car including a 3000 stall convertor and there is no way I'm even going to try to do the 1/4 with street tires.... its pointless.

Fraser

yeah I just dont see myself running the 1/4 mi more than maybe 2 times...once here in Cali and maybe at a shootout if I ever make it :)

yeah I just dont see myself running the 1/4 mi more than maybe 2 times...once here in Cali and maybe at a shootout if I ever make it :)

Most of us only race a couple times a year. Fraser is right, you are wasting your time trying to race with that much power on street tires. Just get a set of stock wheels and buy yourself a set of bias ply DOT racing slicks. The most popular size for use on a stock wheel is Mickey Thompson ET Street 26" x 10.50" x 16".

Do not get a drag radial, because the sidewalls are too stiff for use with a manual transmission. This will only cause increased wheel hop and broken parts.

David

PS: People sometimes sell their used slicks in the classified section.

5-speeds are definitelty tough to launch with street tires. The best way to do it is to figure out how hard you can launch without spinning. Any spinning through first gear and you might as well add at least .5 to what time you can run. by best time with street tires was a 13.4 at the shootout and my car makes around 340rwhp. It's very hard to come out through first gear without spinning with 400rwtq. Harder than that is consistancy. I think I kept my tires around 30-35 psi because I knew I wasnt breaking any records. I got a lot better traction at the track than on the street also.

Chris

thanks for the input...maybe I'll try to pick up some wheels and slicks if I ever decide to go to the track

Back