Hood Latch bummer

Phillio99

Checking my trans fluid level this afternoon I managed to break my hood latch cable off at the handle under the dash. I have the ability to pull the wire with a pair of needle-nosed pliers but I'm going to have to do something.

Is replacing the entire cable/handle assembly my only option? Thinking I might just go hoodpins...

I've had to replace one of those and I would probably go the hood pin route if I ever have to do it again....:p

i took an old valve from my last set of heads, used a lathe to drill a hole in it sized large enough to fit over the cable stem, then bonded it to the stem with jb weld. it looks original for sure and so far has held up. its been about 13 months since i did it.

i took an old valve from my last set of heads, used a lathe to drill a hole in it sized large enough to fit over the cable stem, then bonded it to the stem with jb weld. it looks original for sure and so far has held up. its been about 13 months since i did it.

That's a cool idea. I will file that one away for potential future reference.

Hood Rich

Thought I'd update, I ended up grabbing a brake cable from a 10-speed bike and making a new hood release. I'll have to take some pictures but the new release comes out on the driver side under the bumper. Pretty hood rich, but I got to say I'm pretty proud of it.

Back