Looking for a engine expert in the Detroit Area

Mako

Hello Everyone.

I am looking for an engine expert to help determine the best path to properly restoring a former beautiful 92 Candy Apple Red 5-sp.

I have been holding onto this car for a few years after I got rod knock from sucking in a little water into the engine during a very unlucky night. I was told to fix rod knock is a engine rebuild or replacement. I would prefer the rebuild option because the engine in my opinion could be fixed and everything in the engine compartment was pristine before the fateful night . But if it's cheaper to just replace it, how would I go about doing it? I have been quoted everything on the map because no one wants to work on it. My uncle just purchased the car from me and is determined to restore it and has the wallet to do all the things it needs to get her back up and running. I'm thinking it will cost about $1500-$2000 to rebuild it with the concern that the water intake incident caused more damage. If it's cheaper to just buy a crated used or rebuilt engine, I am fine with that route. But my feelings are that this engine needs an expert to work on it, which my uncle and I are not.

Is there anyone in the Detroit area who is a SC lover and wants to help us out even with some advise. We would even prefer one of you guys to do the repair to make sure it's properly worked on. This is not a time sensitive project, just want to make sure it's done right.

There used to be a shop in Westland that had a few SC's sitting outside. Hoping someone still has the passion to help with this car.

Thanks in advance!

Dave Mako

Back