help please

needaSC89-96

ok so my tac drops some times and the check eng will come on i feel like it has lost alot of power over the last month or so , i went and got a obd-1 reader and i came up with 111 system ok then 10 miss firing cyl 1, 212 and 214 can anyone here please point me in the rite direction to tackle these problems

and why if a cylinder is misfiring i cant tell any dif

Last edited:
Crank Sensor, Cam Sensor or DIS...everytime i've had the tach drop it's been one of those 3 things

Your codes are....

212 - Loss of Ignition Diagnostic Monitor (IDM) input to EEC processor/ SPOUT Circuit Grounded.

214 - Cylinder Identification (CID) Circuit failure

Crank the engine and if the upshift light comes on then it's your crank sensor

Last edited:
ok i will start with those but is code 10 for a #1 cylinder mis firing and that would be the dis? cause i will disconnect battery to clear codes and the car will drive fine for a few weeks, then tac will drop and check engine light will come on and its all down hill from there i never had the problem untill about 2 weeks after motor mounts, ps pump and tune up.

possibly the dis or coil pack...i suspect the misfire being caused by your codes though...with the 214 code the computer isn't identifying what cylinder to fire, when that happens its usually the crank sensor...hope this helps!!

214 could be a camshaft position sensor fault...it was on my 94. I'd replace the camshaft position sensor and go from there. It's not to expensive and it's easy to replace.

thanks im going to try that tomorrow and see what happens and you guys think the reason code 10 can be caused by the above? cause im a little upset i owned a 3.8 bird about ten years ago and loved it and always want a sc so i now i got one and call me crazy stupid or whatever but i would have put it up against this sc i have now when i first got it i thought it had some power but today i couldnt even pull away from a stock 3.8 mustang what can cause it to lose alot of power any help please? its 100% unmolested , minus the intake and resonator that i have done someone on here said something about turning

i didn't have such a loss of power from mine but that's not to say it's not possible. i don't know where the code "10" came from. it's not listed in my book. and for good reason, the computer can't flash a "0". code 212 is loss of tach input to ECA. 214 is DIS cylinder identification failure. both of these are common codes for a cam sensor. the cam sensor tells the computer how many times things go round AKA tach. and where the cam is, determines which cylinder to fire. it could definately misfire with a bad cam sensor as it's information is what the DIS relies on to fire at the right time. it's $35 and takes more time to find the right socket size than to change it.

I think you'll find the "10" is the test sequence completion code.

From what I understand, reader will test for active codes-display as found then display "10" to confirm completion, and then goes to retained codes (memory) and retrieves all codes from the last time system was cleared. Upon completion again it will display "10".

It may be wise to clear the codes in memory and redo the test. Proceed as usual for testing, when flashing icon appears on right hit the test button again and let it run. This should clear memory. Then run a final test for the current status.

At this point both active and memory codes should be the same.

Paul

As was mentioned earlier, code 214 usually idicates a bad cam sensor and it will cause the car to lose power and generally run like crap.

David

Hi, I too have code 214. Is there a how to install the cam sensor anywhere? Looks like it is just 2 screws and the wiring clip. I read in one post you needed a special tool am I missing something? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, I too have code 214. Is there a how to install the cam sensor anywhere? Looks like it is just 2 screws and the wiring clip. I read in one post you needed a special tool am I missing something? Thanks!

Special tool is only needed when installing the entire cam sensor syncro stalk. To change sensor, just unplug it and remove the two small screws. It takes a 7/32" socket to remove/install the screws.

David

Last edited:
Back