PDA

View Full Version : pulling the motor question

mmathews
12-13-2010, 09:02 PM
what all needs to come off to pull the motor? basically, can i disconnect everything, and pull the engine and tranny as 1?

92sclikenew
12-13-2010, 09:23 PM
what all needs to come off to pull the motor? basically, can i disconnect everything, and pull the engine and tranny as 1?

you should search the list is long..

im not sure the exact steps... but it can be done..

Brad2296
12-13-2010, 09:39 PM
you can pull them out together, but you will have to hoist the motor high, and put an extreme tilt on it to get the tail shaft to clear the engine bay.

dbd
12-13-2010, 11:48 PM

Check this thread_From when I changed my engine in 2004

Hope this helps

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost.php?p=449445&postcount=3

Later
dbd

mmathews
12-14-2010, 12:57 AM
that helps. i can't fit my car in my garage and work on it. it's only 20 ft long. so i wanna pull it in half way and yank everything out and push it back outside. save me from doin as much as possible outside. was there a thread with a list of what to disconnect?

Mike Puckett
12-14-2010, 01:03 AM
I and a friend are in the process of pulling one now and we are going to pull the motor and tranny together. We do have it up pretty high. Even if you do take the tranny out from the bottom you still have to have it up pretty high. Getting the front brackets, hoses, and accessories out of the way is a pain. I've learned a few don't do's too. Don't forget to drain the fluids and don't try to pull it with the driveshaft still connected come to mind. I've also broken a fuel rail taking one out so now I don't leave that on anymore either.

mmathews
12-14-2010, 01:32 AM
Did you drain the transmission fluid? If so, can i pump it out through the trans cooler line? Any advise would be great. I can get all the accessories and brackets off in no time. Plus the sc. I'd rather leave the sc on.

92sclikenew
12-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Did you drain the transmission fluid? If so, can i pump it out through the trans cooler line? Any advise would be great. I can get all the accessories and brackets off in no time. Plus the sc. I'd rather leave the sc on.

you can leave the blower on. i did the last time i pulled mine..

90turbo1
12-14-2010, 02:15 PM

you can but you risk damaging the pump and transmission, when you pump out all the fluid the trans will run dry at the end. this will no doubt damage the trans.

I would remove all front accessorys, the brackets, super charger, get wiring tucked on top of motor and make sure all grounds are disconnected. when I removed mine, I took trans off first. (5 speed car) and engine lifted very straight up and out of the car.

if I have to do this again I will drop the subframe with engine and trans attached and get it over with in one operation. the problem with that is the car if very difficult to move around with no subframe under front. we have moved the cars with a cherry picker and moved them but its a pain. i only advise this method if you have a lift.

get as much off the engine as possible in the car, it will make it easier and you will get to know the car better.

have fun

mmathews
12-14-2010, 11:24 PM
good info. were you saying you would remove the subframe and lift the car over the engine?

90turbo1
12-15-2010, 12:56 AM
good info. were you saying you would remove the subframe and lift the car over the engine?

yes, I have access to a vehicle lift, and we have strong benches that can hold up engines and trans, we just unhook everything from motor that is attached to car (wires, coolant lines, ac lines, ect) then lower car onto bench, un-do the subframe and trans mount bolts (dont forget ground straps, they can hold an engine up, ha ha ha) and the steering shaft. then raise the body up off the complete asembly. if its your own lift you can just leave the car up there or move it we use the cherry picker to hold the front frame and we just nascar style tow or push the frame/body out of the bay. then dissasembly and assembly of motor can take place on motor stand and all put back together on subframe on bench and reverse the procedure and its done.

its how the factory did it, and when you do one this way its a no brainer. unless you have a full frame vehicle taking it out the top is very difficult compared to this.

but i must stress doing this on jack stands and such is a good way to hurt yourself. It has been done but it can get tricky to lift the car over the motor and move things around with out a lift...

if I must take out the top, I like to remove all things that stick forward of motor and take the transmission off. its super easy in thunderbirds to remove the trans, just the weight is the issue and on jack stands another.

always have a buddy or two around when you do this. not only for humor and help but its a safety issue as well. would you like to get your hand crushed in the engine bay because the cherry picker failed and you couldnt reach your cell to call for help and had to sit there helpless for how long... anyway.

take it easy what ever method you choose take your time and be organized, and safe.

sdw
12-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Here's some pics when I was putting the engine back in the Cougar. I did this myself on a gravelly driveway so it's not a big deal.

You absolutely must have a load leveler though. If you don't you are making your life extremely difficult. The load leveler allowed me to easily take it out and put it in alone.

Regards

Sean

mmathews
12-15-2010, 11:29 PM
do you know how much the engine weighs? tranny? i gotta do some other work so the radiator is comin out. basically it will be empty to the core support. i will remove the front accessories and brackets. including water pump. it's 20 degrees out and i wanna get it out and in my garage so i can spend my winter nights playin around. i never took the tranny off. i don't need to remove it. i have no plans for it. other than cleaning the housing and inspecting it. to remove it, would it be the linkage, cooler lines, u joint, mount and harness? i've never done this kind of project to a vehicle before so anything that helps would be fantastic!

thanks for all the input and pics!

mr_josh
12-16-2010, 08:07 PM
Let's think...

-Drop exhaust
-Tranny xmember
-Tranny wiring
-Tranny cooler lines
-Throttle and cruise cables
-Unbolt driveshaft for wiggle room (maybe not necessary but I've had to do it all three times I've pulled engines from MN-12s).
-Engine wiring harnesses
-Battery cables
-IC tubes
-Heater and radiator hoses
-Power steering lines
-Fuel lines
-Motor mounts
-Airbox tube

???