Cat Question

bkosonen

So I'm going with 2.5 mandrel bent exhaust kit, with x-pipe full boar resenater, then two Borlas at the end, my budget on this is pretty used up just with that. But I do want to do cats but I was wondering if they NEED to be replaced at the same time or can I wait alittle bit? Also would you guys say I should have the shop up the size of the down pipes? I would like to clean up the exhaust manifolds like I have read but I dont think the shop will do that for me. What would you guys say about the cats??

Will my car still pass Smog?

Nope, and those guys keep forgetting that some folks have to have cats, which because of the even fire v6 we have, is not a bad thing anyway to help control the dreaded drone.

Also, cats now-a-days flow very well and actually have a minimal of restriction that you wouldn't even notice the difference on a dyno or at the track at the power levels these cars are at. Its an old school way of thinking that should be trashed, and people should run them to help the environment as well.

Fraser

I spoke with him last night on the phone.

Something others were not picking up on is the fact he has a 93/5-spd car...
3 Cat set up.

So he is getting the muffler shop to fab up pipes to eliminate the 3rd cat and then run them into the dual in/out resonator to the mandrel dual exhaust set up.

Glad he called and we cleared a couple other things up for him as well.

i would remove the third cat before you take it to a shop. if you get a stickler for the law you will have a shop that will not touch the third cat. by law it must remain in the system in the same location.

now if the cat was gone before hand and only the two fronts remained the muffler shop probably wont know it had a third one.

i would ditch the ford cats alltogether and get magnaflow replacement cats, the cats in the system have a 90 deg turn going into them and they are marginal at best for performance. (why do you think they needed 3 cats). I have used the magnaflow cats and they kick ~~~, if you look at if from an emission stand point they operate very nicely.

you are planning the same system as me so when you get it done throw up some pics..

hope that helps

That helps alot. it dosent even look like a cat, and I dont have really any way to take it off before hand.

yes it will if u know how to do it, and you can save the money you would spend on the cats but to each his own.

he will fail smog depending on what state he is in. if he was driving an obd2 car then he could trick the rear o2 sensors into thinking the car is working. but on obd 1 cars they will probe the tail pipe. or in some states do a visual, and with no cats he will fail the visual (you could hollow them out) but will most likely fail nox.

if you lean the car out to get hc and co very low the nox will climb. with no cat the car will fail.

Like said earlier in the posts, we need to be responsible owners of hoped up cars, removing cats and stuff like that is not only against the law it doesnt help all that much with the cars.

cat question

Good exhaust information here and I have a related cat question for you super SC guys. I have a 1990 SC w/auto trans and it has two loud rattling cats and I was wondering if I could do away with the down pipe cats and install one larger cat between the Y and the resonator ? I just hate to buy two if I could make one larger one work and by the way I am in the Houston Texas area and they do the dyno/smog here. :cool:

Good exhaust information here and I have a related cat question for you super SC guys. I have a 1990 SC w/auto trans and it has two loud rattling cats and I was wondering if I could do away with the down pipe cats and install one larger cat between the Y and the resonator ? I just hate to buy two if I could make one larger one work and by the way I am in the Houston Texas area and they do the dyno/smog here. :cool:

Its better for the cats to be close to the engine so they get enough heat in them to do the job. The further back, the less heat and the less they work and smog results go up.

Fraser

My 89 had bad cats and I hollowed them out and left the factory casing and o2's. It passes emission test with flying colors!

My 89 had bad cats and I hollowed them out and left the factory casing and o2's. It passes emission test with flying colors!

ofcouse it does i said that. and if it don't set it to base timing before you go it will pass and then set it back after your done. ps. it will run like crap but will pass. and if you take the cats off and run str8 down pipes to the res if they say anything which they won't cause they just stick that pole with a mirror on it under the car point to the res and tell them that is the cat.

Last edited:
It depends on where you go to get a smog, but my brother is a Test only in Sacramento and he gets down and physically looks to make sure they are on there. IF you have 3 cats, the way it is set up is that the first ones on the down pipe burns say types 1 and 2 polutants and the the 3rd does type 3. You can get a cat the does all 3 types. This is how you are able to eliminate the 3rd cat. The cheap cats do not have as much material in them and do not burn as well as the more expensive ones. These are also refered to as High flow cats. These are also Non OBD2 compliant and can cause you to fail if the tech sees it. Just a little bit of info.

yes it will if u know how to do it, and you can save the money you would spend on the cats but to each his own.

No cats on these cars = crap. They sound like some little 4cyl with a 4in straight pipe.

-Corey

Woud you get the universal cats?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-53034/

or the direct bolt ons?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-23351/

It's a $233 difference...

What are the pros and cons of each

Considering im getting true duals. I have to nix the y pipe it comes with and get an X-pipe from Bill @ SCP.

Part of fighting the dreaded drone is putting in a magnaflow resonator, in your case duel in/dual out. Get the one that has the built in crossover. Without one you'll have to run at least the 19" or bigger borla mufflers out back to have half a chance at controlling the drone.

Fraser

Back