PDA

View Full Version : The Driveshaft Shop Axles

Mike8675309
12-14-2010, 12:55 PM
As part of my winter build up, I will be replacing my stock axles with something more stout. Right now it appears there can be some savings (up to $100) if a group purchase were made. This post is to see if anyone is interested before I go beating on doors and getting hard details.

Options are DSS Level 2 Axles or DSS Level 5 Pro Level Axles.

DSS Level 2 Axles list for $799.99ea (http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-axles/ford/ford-thunderbird-1989-1997-600hp-complete-rear-axles) ($1599.98 a set)
The outer CV joint is Carbo Ausse Tempered and 28spline (fits stock hub). The inner CV joint is a Porsche Style 108mm ball and cage design with a bolt on flange with 28 or 31 splines. The Shaft is made of aircraft quality steel. 1 year warranty rated to 600rwhp.

Dss Level 5 Pro Level Axles list for $999.99ea (http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-axles/ford/ford-2001-2004-cobra-pro-level-axle-hub-kit) ($1999.99 a set)
Outer and Inner Porsche style cross groove CV's with stronger internal cage and races. The center bar is larger at 1-3/8. The outer CV mount is splined down the entire length of the inside of the hub giving the wheel bearing more support. 31 spline inner CV flange. Outer CV flange is 33spline and custom Hubs are supplied with new, longer wheel studs. The standard outer hub is drilled 5 x 114.3 (standard mustang) and for a one time charge, can be drilled 5 x 108 (t-bird pattern). 1 Year warranty rated to 1000rwhp.

Lethal Performance lists the Level 2 for $1349 and the Pro-Level for $1799.00 to give you a sense of the street prices.

I'm still not decided on which way I will go. Justifying the cost is pointless. The shafts won't allow you to go faster, stop quicker, or turn a corner tighter. For me, it is simply a lack of confidence in any other alternative out there.

Anyone else interested enough that I should pursue a group buy?

ricardoa1
12-14-2010, 01:05 PM
I had a bad experience with them on my neon srt I kept having to send them back to them for vibration issues.

Dirtyd0g
12-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I think this will be a hard GP to get done, most people can get markVIII axles and put the outboard joint on sc manual shafts. To strengthen the inner you can build a 31 spline diff and use 00+ IRS cobra inners. A bunch of work, but even buing the stuff from parts stores and paying the cores makes it half the cost. I'm sure the level5 stuff is the way to go for big power, but there are only a handful of people who need it. The majority of broken axles are manual cars caused by wheel hop.
Alan

Mike8675309
12-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I've heard of the SRT problem before. A number of Cobra folks have these axles and any reports of failures I found, DSS took care of it. I believe at least one T-bird owner is running them, maybe more. These also are revised from their original design. I'm not discounting the issue with the SRT nor that people have experienced service issues with DSS.

I believe shock loading will always be an issue on 5 speed cars, even with wheel hop almost eliminated. It is the nature of the beast and as long as we are able to produce so much torque at such low RPM, there is a potential for failure somewhere in the driveline. Personally, I'd rather blow out a u-joint than a stub shaft. But that is not what is happening. Heck the transmission tail-shaft housing is failing before the u-joints.

If only 5 are interested, that's enough to save some money. The idea isn't that 20 people would be up for it. I'll be purchasing a solution, either with some savings, or without.

When I looked at alternatives last year it seemed that by the time you get done screwing around you were within $250 of the Level 2 axles and the level 2 axles had the upgraded cv joints. By the time you start down that rabbit hole, there isn't much point going back. I'd love a solution that gives you two axles with CV joints that we can feel confident with 600rwhp for around $800 a pair. I just haven't seen it available. If someone knows of such a solution, i'd love to see the details.

DLF
12-14-2010, 03:32 PM
I've had the Level 5 axles/hubs on my Cobra for a few years now, pricey, but great pieces.

David Neibert
06-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Mike,

Have you decided on what direction you are going with halfshafts ? I'm thinking pretty seriously about a set of the Level 2 halfshafts for my 93 SC and would be on board for a group purchase.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domestic-axles/ford/thunderbird/ford-thunderbird-1989-1997-600hp-complete-rear-axles

Now that some of these turbo SC guys are making big steam, they may be more interested in participating.

David

neverfastenough
06-06-2011, 01:09 PM
those prices are very good considering the listed street prices, but my car will get a solid rear end long before i spend that on axles, one year warranty is weak for that cost also. Should be lifetime.