Wont start?

DickH

Twice now I have been stuck because the car wont start. The car just cranks until the battery dies but if I get someone to jump me the car eventually starts. When the car finally starts, it runs it runs fine. I am thinking it might be cold related and am wondering if this is common and what the fix is.

First thing I would do is replace the battery.....

I've had weak batteries cause a no start condition a couple of times....:rolleyes:

These engines require a lot of cold cranking amps.....

nice. same as mine. the next time you go to start it see if the up shift light comes on while cranking. if so the crank sensor is on its way out. just my .02

My 89 5 speed does the same sometimes. Its the battery.
Mine does it a couple times and then its fine for a month or so and does it again.
Make sure you are not trying to run to much juice drawing when rolling it over. That helps keep the drain off the battery. You know, radio, subs, GPS, radar, etc.

Not sure if its related but the car also from time to time shows 0rpm while driving. This also just started recently, but I just assumed it was a lose wire in the dash or something like that. The car still seems to drive fine when the rpms read 0 however a check engine light does come on.

Well just drove 30 minutes and somewhere along the line the rpms dropped. As soon as I parked I tried to start the car again with no luck. Would a bad cam sensor keep the car from starting but let it run ok? How easy are they to change?

Well just drove 30 minutes and somewhere along the line the rpms dropped. As soon as I parked I tried to start the car again with no luck. Would a bad cam sensor keep the car from starting but let it run ok? How easy are they to change?

I agree that it sounds like a bad cam sensor...it's easy to change just two small screws hold it on (requires 7/32" socket to replace). Is it throwing a check engine light ?

David

check engine light shuts off on its own when the rpms work again so I cant really check it unless I keep a reader with me and pull over when it happens. im going to look for that sensor and try to change it.

Sounds like the Cam sensor 100% to me - this is an instock item at Advance Auto Parts. Runs about $32.00...just had this same thing happen on a 93 SC auto.

-Tim

check engine light shuts off on its own when the rpms work again so I cant really check it unless I keep a reader with me and pull over when it happens. im going to look for that sensor and try to change it.

The CEL doesn't have to be on, to see what code it's throwing. Whenever a check engine light comes on, the EEC stores the code. It will stay there unless you disconnect the battery or clear the codes with a scanner.

David

Back