Engine miss? And driveshaft question

AWD1990Tsi

I've got a bit of a vibration that I can feel in the shifter when the car is idling or running down the road, it seems to get better or worse at different RPM's. And it also sounds sort of like it might have a bit of a miss, could that be the vibration problem? I just replaced the motor mounts since mine were destroyed and hoped it might fix the issue. All it seemed to do was change where the vibration happened in the RPM range.

Any ideas for what would be causing the miss? Just a simple tune up or is there something else that could cause it?

Also before replacing the motor mounts I noticed the driveshaft was really close to the front driveshaft loop or whatever you would call it right in front of the gas tank, and also close to the tunnel in the top of the tank. Close to the point that you could see a spot around the shaft where it rubbed on the loop occasionally. I figured replacing the mounts would fix this issue, but when I put the new motor mounts in the driveshaft was in contact with that loop anytime I wasn't accelerating.

I fixed some wrongly placed bushings on the transmission crossmember which seemed to help, but it's still closer than I believe it should be. And I rotated the bottom half of that driveshaft loop so that the part that dips down is under the shaft more (It's sort of off set more to 1 side than the other) Does any one have any pics of which direction it's supposed to go? Whoever had my car before wasn't the brightest crayon, I've found a million little things already that were clearly just over looked when they were assembling it.

I didn't replace the tranny mount, but it doesn't look to be bad while it's all in place. But could that be the issue? It's the only mount I can think of that would affect driveshaft angle besides the motor mounts and since those are new I don't see those as being the issue.

Sorry for the long post, just been frustrated trying to work out the kinks on the old girl. I got more problems than I would have ever suspected mostly just from shotty work that was done in the past.

Anyways thanks loads in advance for any help or advice you may be able to give.

Back