18" tire sizes

XxSlowpokexX

I'm looking at getting some new rims and tires..Potentially upgrading to an 18" if I cant find what I am looking for in a 17"...

Now has anyone run a 285/40/18 in the rear preferably on a 10" rim? They are slightly taller than the factory 16" size

Thanks all

that is gonna rub pretty bad with just a little travel

285/35 would help a little and you will find a cheaper tire, but it will still rub

Last edited:
well when I look and the tire specs...the section width is about 11.4" and the tread (depending on the tire) is way smaller like around 9"

it might work if you roll but the tread width is smaller than my 275 so I wouldn't do it

I have them on my car what do you want to know? :cool:

Rolled 1/4 is a must. And proper offset is required when lowered. If stock height then you got a better shot at not rubbing.

My 1/4's are rolled and my 285 Nitto 17's clear fine with the 99 cobra offset which not only sticks out more than need be but also buldges a bit. A 10" rim at the correct offset would make my current tires fit even better. So it was less a width issue but more of a height concern I had. I know width wise they will fit.

With the proper offset 10" rim in an 18 they hould be fine if the same height as my 17''s but they are taller...

And the matching 255 in the front of the same height Rico???

Basically if I cant find rims I like in 17" it seemed 18" has more of a selection..Thats my reasoning for asking.

Height of the Nittos(18") are 26.97", with the rear section on a 10" inch rim being 11.42" and the front on an 8.5" rim being 10.16"

My Current setup(17") is 25.95" with the rear section being 11.38 if it were on a 10" rim and the front on an 8.5" rim being 10.08.

if the 18" setup can fit it will be more comfortable and handle better than what I have now. The 8" rim width is killing me for sure.

And I know Rico would love to see me get new rims lol

Offset wise I guess around 38-40? Have you guys found issues getting correct offset?

Damon I need to replace one of the Nitto's on my Lightning thanks to a bubble.. Its a 295/40/18.. You're more than welcome to take it and test it out on your rim..

My 1/4's are rolled and my 285 Nitto 17's clear fine with the 99 cobra offset which not only sticks out more than need be but also buldges a bit. A 10" rim at the correct offset would make my current tires fit even better. So it was less a width issue but more of a height concern I had. I know width wise they will fit.

With the proper offset 10" rim in an 18 they hould be fine if the same height as my 17''s but they are taller...

And the matching 255 in the front of the same height Rico???

Basically if I cant find rims I like in 17" it seemed 18" has more of a selection..Thats my reasoning for asking.

Height of the Nittos(18") are 26.97", with the rear section on a 10" inch rim being 11.42" and the front on an 8.5" rim being 10.16"

My Current setup(17") is 25.95" with the rear section being 11.38 if it were on a 10" rim and the front on an 8.5" rim being 10.08.

if the 18" setup can fit it will be more comfortable and handle better than what I have now. The 8" rim width is killing me for sure.

And I know Rico would love to see me get new rims lol

Offset wise I guess around 38-40? Have you guys found issues getting correct offset?

Nittos 555s only come in 285 40 18s and 275 35 18s last time I bought the rear set.... I went with the 285 40 18s because of this... 275 35s are too short in comparison to my previous front 245 45 18s which is almost perfect match for the stock outer raidius. 275 40 18s for the rear is also almost a perfect match for the outer radius to a stock tire.

Since i like Nittos 555s for the added traction I bought them in the 285 40 18s they are a tiny bit taller but nothing that will throw the speedo out of whack...The added width was also welcomed as I would have better traction and will decrease my gearing ratio which was to me favorable....Since you have 3.27s you will be better off since it will give you a little more overdrive in 5th.

You will not notice any comfort difference between a 35 40 the sidewalls are not that big in difference even with 285s. But its moving in comfort direction for arguement sake.

Now here is where you will have issues. I am thinking you are going to get a replica wheel for a 2005+ mustang, the rears are likely 18x10 or 18x10.5 with an offset between 40-44MM. If your car is lowered and the springs are not stiff enough......and your shocks are also not stiff enough, then when you load up the car and go on a trip you will get the left side tire rubbing on the inside near the shock mounting point.. then the right tire will rub on the quarter panel...If you have them rolled its not really a big issue other then the noise you will get....If you dont have the, rolled you will cut up the tire and probably need to throw it out. Dont ask me why Ford placed the IRS in the rear slightly to the right on my car and others. Its shifted to the right!!!. So the right tire will stick out to the right and the left tire will stick in to follow...Its weird but I think Chris confirmed this on his car....Thats why usually you get rubbing on the right side only when you get a wider tire....

Rubbing on my car does not happen very often its rare enough that it does not bother me...And now my car is jacked up even further so frequency dropped down dramatically. If you want to play it safe go with 275 40 18s

Last edited:
Nittos 555s only come in 285 40 18s and 275 35 18s last time I bought the rear set.... I went with the 285 40 18s because of this... 275 35s are too short in comparison to my previous front 245 45 18s which is almost perfect match for the stock outer raidius. 275 40 18s for the rear is also almost a perfect match for the outer radius to a stock tire.

Odd, I have the NT555 in 245-45-18 although maybe they stopped making them if Ricardo is correct. They've been on the car a while now so it certainly is possible. Damon you know what they look like. I think the height is good all around. As for the width I wish the rears were a little wider and I would like a bit less width in the front.

Ira

Odd, I have the NT555 in 245-45-18 although maybe they stopped making them if Ricardo is correct. They've been on the car a while now so it certainly is possible. Damon you know what they look like. I think the height is good all around. As for the width I wish the rears were a little wider and I would like a bit less width in the front.

Ira

I was saying they dont have 275 40 18s for the rear in nittos. I think the focus of the post was for rear wheels and tires. 245 45 18s fit well upfront and match how tall vs a stock tire. If you run 18x8 or 18x9 wheels all around and not staggered size. This size works well all around..

On the anniversary I did 245 45 18s fronts and 275 40 18s rears not by nitto though...

Just recently I have mounted 265 40 18s front and kept my 285 40 18s on my blue car. The fronts are a tiny bit shorter then stock and the rears are slightly taller then stock. But Its all within less then an inch.

So the perfect offset is not really known yet for a non rub fit or are the 285's just to big in the 18"? On my 17"s its a pretty nice fit with the 99 cobra offset. and if I had the correct offset it wouldnt ever be an issue even if fully loaded. I just dont want to spend $$$$$ and hav etiire rubbing issues

I was thinking 10" rear and an 8.5" front. Not nec replicas so I'm not stuck with oem only looking rims and offsets. Anything above 40 woul dprobably b etucked in to much no?

I dont find it to be a problem when I drive around town. But when i go to carlisle I add alot of weight with the full size spare and all my tools, floor jack and ect. Shootout is the same thing....I have stiff springs and so do you so I dont think you will be dissatisfied when you are in your home town with the car empty.

But only you will know.

If the IRS was shifted to the left a bit then it probably would not be a problem at all, but like I said right tire sticks out and the left tire is in because of the IRS subframe. And I dont think offset will fix unless I get a right and left wheel with different offsets to compensate for the retarded IRS>

Its possible you guys mounted it right on the center and what i said holds no meaning. But I dont know how much adjustment there is Ive never taking the IRS down. Mine is the same way Ford put it in.

Last edited:
Its possible you guys mounted it right on the center and what i said holds not meaning. But I dont know how much adjustment there is Ive never taking the IRS down. Mine is the same way Ford put it in.

Ricardo,

I've seen several SCs that have the wheel sticking a little further out on one side than the other, but most I've seen are well centered. Kurt K has one of the cars that are not well centered and when he tried using my Bogarts & ET streets on the rear, he experinced tire rub/minor cutting on one side just while driving the car around the block, and had to remove them to prevent further damage. If his rear fenders were rolled I don't think it would have been a problem.

I'd like to use a 285 wide tire on my 18" X 10" rear Boyd Cottingtons, but the offset/backspacing is such that I can barely get 275-40s to clear with rolled fenders. If they were tucked into the wheel wells another 1/2" there wouldn't be a problem using the 285s.

David

Last edited:
Its possible you guys mounted it right on the center and what i said holds no meaning. But I dont know how much adjustment there is Ive never taking the IRS down. Mine is the same way Ford put it in.

I had mine put in with alighnment tools DLF made when doing my bushings. maybe ill find out soon enough

When I used to sell rims back in the day there were much less option showever th eoption sthey had could be made in a variety of offsets and widths. Now everything is limited. I want a 10" rear rim and an 8.5" front....Not gunna happen!

Seems an 8 and a 9.5 may be doable but not ideal for my tire sizes.

Back