Antilock light turns on

Dutch Bird

Recently my antilock light has come on a few times while braking hard. However the brakes are working o.k. and are not locking. The system seems to be fine. Is this a mailfunction of a sensor?

Anyone who knows what the problem might be please advise.

Thanks,

Dutch Bird

abs

hey dutch i have the same prob. with my 91 they said it has something to do with the accumulator but im not sure if that is it due to the fact i havent had time to check it out but i hope to soon ....my brake light also comes on with my abs light even under norm braking.....

If the ABS and Brake warning indicators flash on-and-off under normal braking, that's the accumulator. Replace it ASAP. If you don't, the hydraulic pump will fail from overheating. Contact Prior Remanufacturing and order a replacement (costs around $100.00 US).

The ABS indicator flash under heavy (or panic braking) may be normal. I will check my tech notes and let you know.

I have a problem with my Anti-Lock brake light also. Except mine comes on and stays on. I drive around for about 15-30 seconds and it comes on. I barely make it to the first stop sign! Anyway.... it's done this since I bought the car, back in June of this year. The person I bought the car from told me it was a sensor of some sort. I don't think he named a certain sensor in particular. Any ideas? Any help will be much obliged!

Corey "Thumper" Bennett

Awww mannn... I meant to take a look at the diagnostic charts on my weekly Wednesday night trip to the library and got busy Ooohing and Ahhing over the complete wiring diagrams that I found in a Chiltons manual and just plain forgot. I was sitting there in awe because these were copies of the original Ford blueprints!! If you can wait another week, I can check to see what the solid antilock light means. I know, you can't but I can't tell you anything other than the ABS computer lights the Antilock light. That means that the brakes themselves might be fine, but maybe theres a problem with a sensor pickup. The manual (not the Chiltons) has about 30 pages of diagnostics for the ABS.

Back