Fuel line Question

kenewagner

I am in progress of figuring out my new fuel line needs. I had assumed that the stock fuel line is 3/8" and was planning on going to 1/2" lines. When I calipered the outside of the stock lines they seem to be smaller than I thought, are these 5/16" lines or some metric diameter?

Ken

They are smaller then 5/16" ID. Ken, I would not go any smaller then a -8 feed and -6 return with your setup. Its always better to have way more then just barely enough.

Cool:cool: thats what I needed to know. Makes one wonder how these cars can generate big numbers with such small fuel lines

Ken

Here is the thread that Rico started when we both did the feed line upgrade. Gives you some ideas with pictures and handy part numbers.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115393&highlight=fuel&page=16

I would also recommend ditching the stock location FPR and rework the fuel rails for a remote regulator. I am using a Aeromotive A1000-6 remote regulator with stock fuel lines.

He has nifty new trunk tank so he can do -8 for feeds and -6 return no problems.... from start to finish.

I have stock return on mine. And the -8 feed. That with the external pump took care of the fuel delivery.

A note... When talking with the gas tank guy , he said most systems he plumbs have a -10 outlet and -6 return in an effort to ensure the externally mounted pump has no suction issues. I didn't dig into it, but perhaps from the pump -8 should be fine with the -10 just there to improve the feed to the external pump.

Last edited:
Good point....

I did use a very short piece of -10 from the sump on my fuel cell to the inlet of the pump for just this reason. I forgot all about this until I just went back and checked my notes.

A note... When talking with the gas tank guy , he said most systems he plumbs have a -10 outlet and -6 return in an effort to ensure the externally mounted pump has no suction issues. I didn't dig into it, but perhaps from the pump -8 should be fine with the -10 just there to improve the feed to the external pump.

I am going to run -10 to the pump from the fuel cell to give it plenty of voluumn. I am running SS tubes. I already have the return line but have to order the feed line today. I dont carry that size in inventory at the shop. Also had to order a bending tool. I have one for 3/8" but not 1/2" Overall I am staying busy on the car but need to sell some parts to buy the pump and filters.

Ken

The most important side is the feed from the cell to the pump. The pump has to be mounted lower than the cell so that it siphons correctly. I have a Y-block attached to the feed side of the pump with two -8AN hoses running to it. I also run -10AN lines from the pump to the rail and a -6 return. This way helps to keep the pressures up, especially on high HP cars. By running a smaller return, you create a high pressure system in the feed side, which is good, because the 1/2" line has high volume.

I got the pump today. It is huge, wasnt prepared for how big it is. Guess I wont be worried about fuel flow for the rest of the time I own this car:D
Also have the lines bent up. Not real happy with them as the SS lines are hard to bend. I finally figured out that the 1/2" line is a 316 SS and is a lot harder than the 3/8" line which is 304 SS. Anyway they are getting closer to what I want them to look like. There is some minor modifacation to be done to the crossmember behind the wheel well so the lines are flush with the bottom of the body. Decided if I am going to do it, it needs to be done right

Ken

Attachments

• Fuel pump.JPG
    Fuel pump.JPG
    181.2 KB · Views: 87
  • Fuel rail.JPG
    Fuel rail.JPG
    238.4 KB · Views: 124
  • Fuel rail 1.JPG
    Fuel rail 1.JPG
    234.2 KB · Views: 107
I installed the SS fuel lines. Brackets are also SS. I notched the cross member deeper to allow the bigger lines to be tucked up out od harm. notch is boxed in to keep strength in that ares. I have a SS plate made that bolts over the notch to further protect the lines.

Attachments

• Fuel lines.JPG
    Fuel lines.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 108
  • Fuel lines 1.JPG
    Fuel lines 1.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 101
I installed the SS fuel lines. Brackets are also SS. I notched the cross member deeper to allow the bigger lines to be tucked up out od harm. notch is boxed in to keep strength in that ares. I have a SS plate made that bolts over the notch to further protect the lines.

Looks real professional. Did you get the pump mounted and plumbed ?

David

Looks great Ken. Can you post a picture of how you routed the lines into the engine compartment?

I have the pump but not the filters so I am holding off intalling it to see how much room I have. I hope to plumb the pre filter right off the sump of the fuel cell and than run a short 10AN line to the pump. Than a post filter. The vent line is ran from the fuel cell and the return line runs into a bulkhead fitting. All the hose fittings I need will be here next week, maybe the filters too if I sell a dbl IC to fund them. The hoses will run into the engine compartment the same as the old ones. Worse case, I might have to enlarge the hole going into the engine compartment. I have been slowed by a lack of funds at the moment so it is going together piece meal. I expect to be done in about a week and will take some more pictures of the setup than

Ken

Attachments

• Fuel cell lines.JPG
    Fuel cell lines.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 78
If you need any quick connect ends for the lines I have the tool to make them. Parts stores get a fortune for them. I know the people who buy long lengths of expensive braided hose and the fittings would be surprised how much less the better steel line costs. I have gotten into using the brake quip line which is a copper nickel alloy, bends much easier and flares really well too. Not to mention it will never rust or corrode, even in salt water.
Alan

If you need any quick connect ends for the lines I have the tool to make them. Parts stores get a fortune for them. I know the people who buy long lengths of expensive braided hose and the fittings would be surprised how much less the better steel line costs. I have gotten into using the brake quip line which is a copper nickel alloy, bends much easier and flares really well too. Not to mention it will never rust or corrode, even in salt water.
Alan

Braided hose is real expensive so I am keeping the lengths short. I have a vender for my shop that sell aero equip fittings so I using that to my advantage. I appriciate the offer:D and will take you up on it if I get stuck making what I have work

Ken

Looks good Ken, you always seem to one up everyone, we go braided you form your own actual hard lines:p.

PS.. The stock fittings that go into the fuel rail have small ID's, so be sure to use those fancy AN style ones with a full ID.

Ken, did you make the spacers for those lines, or are the a part that can be sourced? Your setup looks very good. Like Alan, any hard lines I install will probably be the copper-nickel alloy lines, but I can appreciate the effort that goes into bending that stainless steel so nice.

Back