What does it take to run 13s?

Nhra747

I have been highly considering getting a sc. I have a daily driver mustang v6, and am getting another drag/ weekend car. Well long story short, what does it take to get a 89-93 auto (just say most all of them around here are that no 94/95s) to run 13.7-9? What will these mods net, gears, m/t et streets, shift kit, full exhaust (shorty or ported headers), intake, pulley, and whatever other lil misc things?

I have been highly considering getting a sc. I have a daily driver mustang v6, and am getting another drag/ weekend car. Well long story short, what does it take to get a 89-93 auto (just say most all of them around here are that no 94/95s) to run 13.7-9? What will these mods net, gears, m/t et streets, shift kit, full exhaust (shorty or ported headers), intake, pulley, and whatever other lil misc things?

better off making the SC a driver and throw an sc motor in your stang to do 13's!

The stang is a 1999 kinda hard to do that... Just wondering, id be happy with anything faster than 15s, just wanna see what people have run....

Last edited:
I ran a mild cam with unported heads, 42# injectors, 94 blower at 10%, a DIC, a C&L 76mm MAF an PP 75mm TB and tuned the car and she ran 13.8's on street tires. The exhaust was mostly stock except resonator and ported exhaust manifolds.

To run low 13's you'd need to get the heads ported properly, and up the exhaust a bit better, a ported 94 blower, and MP inlet plenum.

It doesn't take a whole lot to get these cars to run in the 13's... after that the price starts to dramatically go up, but 12's are not that hard to get into either these days.

Fraser

Just go buy a fox Mustang roller and throw the motor in that thing. You will have a solid 13 second car. Ask Lilredstang on the forums. He did it with his '90 notchback. I have ridden in the car with his new blower and intercooler setup w/o a tune. It's pretty nasty.

There is one thing that a mustang will never have that a TBird SC has hands down besides performance, is comfort and handling.. Its real easy to get the car into the 13's or even 12's full weight, and keep all the creature comforts to boot, still out corner any of the mustangs on a road course :), and drive for hours without feeling it.

Fraser

The IRS allthough nice does not make the Cobra handle that much better on the road course. IRS=comfort. The new stang outhandleing and outlapping the BMW m3 is testamite to that..And the m3 isnt all that comfortable come to think of it.

But the SC if by far more comfortable!

The IRS allthough nice does not make the Cobra handle that much better on the road course. IRS=comfort. The new stang outhandleing and outlapping the BMW m3 is testamite to that..And the m3 isnt all that comfortable come to think of it.

I just threw the 03-04 Cobra out there in response to "any Mustang"

As far as comfort, the MN12 platform is a great highway car and I would prefer to take my wife's Tbird on a long trip, then the Mustang.

it will handle better on bumpy roads though fo sho

Hmmm ......... a 2003-2004 Cobra may prove that to be wrong.

From what I've seen and read, a stock suspension 2003-2004 cobra still isn't the greatest handler in the world, and an SC can still turn in on it.

Until this year the mustang has never been a great handler unless the suspension was beefed up on it. My friend has a 2009 Cobra and my SC will turn circles around it on the track, and all I've done is shocks and springs... everything else is stock and the bushings on the rear are still factory original.

Fraser

Back