Power windows issue...acts like it is not finished rolling up!!

phils89sc

When I roll up my passenger side window in my 89 SC, whether it be up or down, when it gets all the way down or up, and if I continue to hold the switch, it will like act like it wants to keep going, making a thump, thump, thump sound when the motor keeps turning. Anyone experienced this?

The plastic plugs in the window motor that drive the regulator are worn out and need to be replaced....

You will eventually get to the point where the window will not go up or down....

Not too bad....

Remove door panel....

Remove door speaker.....

Remove three bolts that holds window motor to window regulator....

Remove window motor through speaker opening in door....

Remove screws that hold the cover down and the C-clip on top of the small gear.....

Lift everything out and you will see the bits and pieces of the broken gear plugs.....

Thoroughly clean everything out and install a new set of plugs (Look for them in the HELP section of the parts store)....

Hardest part is removing and re-installing the door panel....:p

Or is it installing the plastic plugs.....:rolleyes:

Hardest part is removing and re-installing the door panel....:p

Or is it installing the plastic plugs.....:rolleyes:

Hardest for me, on the driver's door, was screwing the bolts in lefthanded. I don't screw well left handed ...

Let's add "Be CERTAIN to a) get all the old busted plugs out, and b) lube the sucker up. GOOD." As in "Clean out the old, fill it part way, put the big gear back in, put the plugs in, fill THAT cavity up, put the metal gear in, fill the REST in." I used lithium, but I'm about to redo the passenger side and I'll use moly suspension grease there.

RwP

I use a flat blade jewelers screwdriver to dig all the pieces out of the recesses in th big plastic gear....:p

I use a flat blade jewelers screwdriver to dig all the pieces out of the recesses in th big plastic gear....:p

Take the big gear out and flush it with compressed air then wash it with alcohol (not as good in the winter, due to freezing the hands due to evaporation, but eh.)

Got to get it out to relube the bottom anyway.

RwP

Back