sad day for the v6

decipha

well 12 months after i changed the head gaskets on my 91 titanium and now at 126k miles on the odometer the rod bearing on #2 seized and locked up the engine, cause hasn't been determined yet, she had a faint rod knock at idle that developed 3 months ago

i was thinking, why even bother with the 3.8 ? they are GREAT engines and are very addictive but it just doesn't make sense to not go with a v8 as the price is the same, then it doesn't make sense to go with the small 8 as the big 8 can be had for the same price as well so unfortunately my mind has been made up but i can't decide which engine, either a 351 or a 5.4 ?????

she'll stay behind the 4r70w and will be getting either two s-ports mated to her to retain her supercoupe appeal or a turbo for the fast factor, either way should get the job done

I saw a few weeks ago, I think it was in the FRPP catalog. They had an awesome deal on a 347 stroker block. I don't remember exactly what all came with it but I know it had the pistons and some sort of performace cam that came installed.

crap for that money you can get the new 5.0 some one must make a harness for that thing i would imagine.

your right i never even considered the new coyote 5.0

you just made my mind up thanks man, now i'll need to replace the bottom end on that thing so i can really turn the wick up :cool:

crap for that money you can get the new 5.0 some one must make a harness for that thing i would imagine.

They do make a wire harness with a computer for the NEW 5.0 .. but you would still need to do a bunch of re-wiring to make it work in an MN12. Not cheap either.

But what is money, I mean .. its just a bunch of numbers in a computer right ?? My buddy has over $30,000 worth of car part sitting on a shelf for me to install in his 1967 Nova SS .. 383 stroker 350 that will be FAST, talk about an upgrade from the Inline 6 cyliner.

Difference between a carbed engine and fuel injection .. a LOT less wiring.

You can swap a 460 or 390 into a Tbird, 351, whatever ... it all fits if you can fab.

I almost dropped a 351 Cleveland into my Tbird, and then I had somebody offer to let me use their 429 CID 400 HP engine in there also. Just isnt happening with California smog laws .. but if you dont have smog laws, do what works best. I hear the PI 4.6 aluminum motors are quite popular ( I had one .. just wasnt impressed ) :rolleyes:

- Dan

i crunched some #s and it would cost me ~12k to put a coyote in an mn12 all said and done

the oem engine is getting rebuilt, i got to be true to the supercoupe name, any other ford other than the old turbo svo's is a fast v8, we are the only fast v6s, the mustangs don't count as they often steal our engines

Hey Mike, has anyone dropped in the Roush 5.4 supercharged Triton? I know you would like to do something different....

sky... i heard of one 5.4L in a mn12, never heard anything more about it that was a few years back on tccoa

im not interested in the modular motors, i like torque and they suck in that dept, im staying pushrod

well its that time of the year again and im back in the same mindset i was 2 years ago, this time i have made up my mind and the v6s must go

i have a total of 10 supercoupe blocks some still in my cars others set aside as spares that i will be deinventorying, just curious as to whom may be interested, i prefer to completely machine the blocks before sending them out,

this will include but is not limited to, hot tank, line hone, bore & hone 0.030 over, new cam bearings, freeze plugs, magnaflux, re-deck, paint, and oxidation inhibitor

in a nutshell they will be completely machined and ready for assembly

i have no idea what the going rate is for a prepped block, so if interested, shoot me an offer

If you with a late model v8 you'll need a different transmission. The bell housing is different from the 3.8 to that of a coyote, 4.6 or 5.4. If you go with a Windsor family v8 then it will bolt right up to your 4r70w.

If I ever went with a V8 I would drop in a 460. After tallking to Pro Street Rich I cant see any reason why not. For now I will stick to the 3.8 until I get bored with it

Ken

Decipha - I'd still look hard at the 460CID Man'o'War block assembly.

460 cubes ought to motivate a TBird pretty darn good, unless the extra weight over the front end causes too many handling problems.

RwP

If I ever do a v8 conversion it will be a 4.8/5.3 ls engine with a 76mm. These engines can be had dirt cheap and take a lot of abuse stock.

460 cubes ought to motivate a TBird pretty darn good, unless the extra weight over the front end causes too many handling problems.

RwP

You can build one lighter than a 3.8 with a blower with the right parts. There are a few out there and whats nice is if one wants to do that there are guys in this club who will walk you through it.

You can build one lighter than a 3.8 with a blower with the right parts. There are a few out there and whats nice is if one wants to do that there are guys in this club who will walk you through it.

Hee!

Reminds me of a discussion about a decade ago on the Studebaker newsgroup - one guy was pulling the Packard-based 289 or 304 out along with the Borg-Warner auto, and was going to put in a Caddy 502 with a TH400. He was worried about the weight distribution.

Another guy who had a same-motor and BW sitting out bolted them together, weighed them ... and decided the 40 pound weight REDUCTION to the Caddy 502/TH400 would not much affect the handling of the 55 Stude *grins*

RwP

RwP

Pretty sure the Dart Iron Eagle block I used for the 347 in my 93 SC weighs as much or more than a 351 based 460, and the weight distribution isn't really an issue for a street/strip car. Man O War block is going to be a lot heavier.

David

Rich posted an excellent thread on the 460. Hit the search button and type in Big block install. A 460, with the right parts was like 80lbs less than the 3.8 and all the stuff like blower, pipes, acc brackets, IC etc etc.

Ken

And here I wasn't talking about a big block 460, but a 351W-sized 460.

Should just about drop in, given a cowl hood over it for the height.

RwP

Pretty sure the Dart Iron Eagle block I used for the 347 in my 93 SC weighs as much or more than a 351 based 460, and the weight distribution isn't really an issue for a street/strip car. Man O War block is going to be a lot heavier.

David

Dave you are correct. That Iron Eagle Block has a lot of extra webbing and material in it. That block is not light but it doesn't twist and break above 550HP either. :) I killed a stock 8.2 inch deck height block. I stabbed the throttle once, lost all oil pressure. I shut it right off, checked everything out visually. Fired it back up, there were no noises so I carefully drove it back to the shop. Started digging in once back to the shop. I pulled the distributor looking for the usual oil pump driveshaft issue, Then pulled off the intake and viola. There it was. A big old crack from the intake galley right down to the mains. I must say I am surprised it held together but with a crack large enough to lose all oil pressure. I am certain with one more stab of the throttle it would have turned into a grenade. LOL

Back