T-56 Magnum transmission.

ricardoa1

Tremec put out some new aftermarket trannies for ford and GM..
They are rated for 700lbs. They are called T-56 Magnums. But I cannot find the spec sheets for them for size or shifter location. Im wondering if the GM could work for our cars by changing the bell housing. They are steep at $2700 but maybe they could be something that can be had to build a kit or something..

But wait there might be something even better comming I cannot find the part number for it maybe its not out yet....

TREMEC is releasing a new
addition to the T-56 Magnum
line-up designed exclusively
for 2005-up Ford Mustangs!
Unofficially dubbed as the
the ‘S197 Magnum’, the new
6-speed model will feature a
‘direct-shift’ extension housing designed to eliminate the notoriously unpopular semi-remote
factory shifter. Additionally, a slip yoke style interface will also make it easy to ditch the
equally unpopular 2-piece driveshaft in favor of a more robust 1-piece arrangement.
As with all Magnum 6-speeds, TREMEC aims to put a 700 lb-ft. ‘seal of approval’ on the new
Mustang units, and will eventually offer them with both Magnum ratio packages to suit a variety
of street and performance driving scenarios. For full details stay tuned to TREMEC.COM - The official site of Tremec Transmissions.!

TREMEC® UNVEILS NEW ‘DIRECT SHIFT’ 6-SPEED

FOR S197 MUSTANG APPLICATIONS

Plymouth, Michigan- Coming in the summer of 2010, the leader in manual transmission technology, TREMEC®, is set to release a brand new high performance 6-speed aimed specifically at the 2005-up Ford Mustang market. The T-56 MagnumTM for S197 Mustang applications represents a long awaited solution to the semi-remote shifters woes that are now prevalent in late-model performance vehicles—while offering all the high performance benefits TREMEC’s Magnum line-up is so well known for!

Designed primarily around the S197 Mustang chassis, TREMEC’s new Magnum model achieves what previously only numb and inaccurate semi-remote shifters could; giving 05-up Ford Mustang enthusiasts perfect in-cabin ergonomics along with all the performance benefits of a direct shift gearbox. Additionally, TREMEC’s new ‘S197 Magnum’ features a slip yoke interface for use with a 1-piece driveshaft, adds the ability to adapt to a ‘blow-proof’ bellhousing, and the eliminates the skip-shift feature slated to arrive in 2011 models of the Mustang GT.

As an aftermarket variant of the same transmission used in all Shelby GT500’s, this brute performance 6-speed offers incredibly precise, short and crisp shifts along with a generous 700-lb ft. of torque capacity for the ultimate street performance setups. TREMEC is even offering the new S197 Magnum with two unique sets of gear ratios for a truly custom tailored ownership experience. Add to that TREMEC’s existing line of T-56 Magnums for Modular engine applications, and TREMEC has nearly any Modular-powered install that enthusiasts can dream up covered!

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Maybe almost bolt on.

I saw that but no specs and I dont think the S197 version is on that list...From info on othe forums it looks like it has a summer of 2011 release.

But an integrated shifter that is at near the stock location is great, currently the external shifters need a bracket at the tunnel to be able to mount the shifter and not have it dangle. And and if they get rid of the two piece driveshaft requirement then thats even better. All that is huge in my book.

Then you are just a bell housing, slave and Xmember away from bolting it on.

I see looks like it just measures the same as production cars from the 2000s, but I dont think the measuring specs apply to the s197 thanks for the info. I think this will be great when it comes out.

I cut out the picture of the S197 transmission.

They will offer two gear sets, what do you guys think would be best for our cars and what rear end gears to put behind it. For best 1/4mile and street performance.

2.66 1.78 1.30 1.00 .80 .63 2.90 Rear end 3.73?
2.97 2.10 1.46 1.00 .74 .50 2.90 Rear end 3.55?

Tremec.jpg

Last edited:
I like the 2.66 with 3.73s I love bolt up mods...hopefully a 6 speed bolt up or practically bolt up would be awesome...even for $3k

The wide-ratio set (2.97) with 3.55's or 3.73's will give better acceleration in the first three gears than the close-ratio set (2.66) with 3.73's or 4.10's, while providing much lower cruising ratios in 5th and 6th.

Gear Rear Overall

2.97 3.55 10.54
2.10 3.55 7.46
1.46 3.55 5.18
1.00 3.55 3.55
0.74 3.55 2.63
0.50 3.55 1.78

~ 1,900 RPM's @ 80 MPH in 6th

2.97 3.73 11.08
2.10 3.73 7.83
1.46 3.73 5.45
1.00 3.73 3.73
0.74 3.73 2.76
0.50 3.73 1.87

~ 2,000 RPM's @ 80 MPH in 6th

2.66 3.73 9.92
1.78 3.73 6.64
1.30 3.73 4.85
1.00 3.73 3.73
0.80 3.73 2.98
0.63 3.73 2.35

~ 2,500 RPM's @ 80 MPH in 6th

2.66 4.10 10.91
1.78 4.10 7.30
1.30 4.10 5.33
1.00 4.10 4.10
0.80 4.10 3.28
0.63 4.10 2.58

~ 2,800 RPM's @ 80 MPH in 6th

Last edited:
4.11s might be a little too much for my taste.

The wide ratio might actually hold even more torque then the other. But they are both rated the same.

This will end all of the manual excuses for the 5spd guys..LOL 2012 watchout Autos.....:eek:

Casey want to make two of everthing I know you will need one for sure. :rolleyes:

The wide-ratio set (2.97) with 3.55's or 3.73's will give better acceleration in the first three gears than the close-ratio set (2.66) with 3.73's or 4.10's, while providing much lower cruising ratios in 5th and 6th.

Last edited:
i watched the sema show and TREMEC said that they can make a bolt on bell housing for any car they just need the spec and they will bolt it up to the trans u want.... i will be getting one from them in the next year or so.. after i break in the new motor then i will be buying one..

A 6 speed is the last thing I ever want to do to my car....So after all else is done...I like this...Making a SBF bellhousing Im sure isnt an issue for them if they dont already have one that will fit

A 6 speed is the last thing I ever want to do to my car....So after all else is done...I like this...Making a SBF bellhousing Im sure isnt an issue for them if they dont already have one that will fit

Or when you snap another input shaft..But I guess you got some time and since you probably will never mount slicks on your car and go to a track i think you will have plenty of time before one. :p

They have a SBF bellhousing it is just that its calling for a mechanical clutch, if they include a SBF bellhousing and a hydro slave kit and clutch in their development can you only imagine! Just put a clutch line to it and make a Xmember and you are on your way to the track by the following weekend.... Dreams :rolleyes:
They sell the Yoke that fits and updates the ujoints, then a cobra rear Yoke and a 04-03 cobra diff flange, with a custom lengh driveshaft might be all that is needed. The trans is pretty long so maybe a stock cobra shaft will slide right in....Id have to see the specs sheet for the trans though then we can speculate what off the shelf driveshaft will work. I actually have a cobra driveshaft in my basement. :)

Last edited:
I was doing some research over at LS1 tech and a guy over there got one. while the tailshaft is longer than the LS1 T56, the shifter is farther forward than the LS1.
I read somewhere else that an LS1 tailshaft housing was swapped onto one. The shifter was back in it's normal position (these were on GM F bodies) but the tailshaft stuck way-out of the housing.

There was also talk about shifter extensions and remote shifters.
I'll just keep what I have in my '93, I'm not gonna be racing.
If I get another MN12 to put the 460 in and can get enough scratch to get another T56, I'll revisit it then.
MikeH

Last edited:
Anyone from Maryland want to drive by the Justin's Performance Center?

http://www.jpcracing.com/

Maybe talke to Eric Holiday.

And explain the situation with the M5R2 and how there is a demand for a T56, and this S197 will be an easy trans to retrofit and maybe even create a Kit for SuperCoupes. Hydrailic slave.......Oh I died and went to heaven.

Group Buy anyone.?

Last edited:
Lets do this, Ill open up a credit card under your name, get the kit made and purchased and then you can install it. And then owe them, I will put in the good word for you.

Maybe a phone call is in order. :rolleyes:

Back