3.8 repair or replace?

markstbird

Hello,
i am new to this forum, new to Thunderbirds. I have been reading threads but i can not find what i am looking for. i have a 1995 Thunderbird lx with documented 38k miles. A rod started knocking loud and hard before Christmas so it was parted until things settled down. My questions are is it worth doing a crank kit on the 3.8 or should i look for a V8? around here there aren't many choices of engines, 5.0 Ford or 350 Chevy. Chevy is not really an option. are there other weak points to the 3.8?

Thank you for your help

Hello,
i am new to this forum, new to Thunderbirds. I have been reading threads but i can not find what i am looking for. i have a 1995 Thunderbird lx with documented 38k miles. A rod started knocking loud and hard before Christmas so it was parted until things settled down. My questions are is it worth doing a crank kit on the 3.8 or should i look for a V8? around here there aren't many choices of engines, 5.0 Ford or 350 Chevy. Chevy is not really an option. are there other weak points to the 3.8?

Thank you for your help

With that low of miles, I would fix that engine. No telling what you will get from a rebuilder. A set of rod and main bearing, rings and some fresh gaskets and you should be set for a longtime. Investing the 100.00 in some head studs would be a smart idea too. To all but eliminate the blown headgasket issues of these engines...

With that low of miles, I would fix that engine. No telling what you will get from a rebuilder. A set of rod and main bearing, rings and some fresh gaskets and you should be set for a longtime. Investing the 100.00 in some head studs would be a smart idea too. To all but eliminate the blown headgasket issues of these engines...

Thank you frdlvr30 for your input. i am going to do the rebuild now that the holiday madness is over.

Did the 3.8 LX have head gasket issues like the supercoupes?

yeah they definatly did. all of the "essex" 3.8 V6s had the issue. the problem is in the expansion rate of cast iron VS. Aluminum. as in the block and heads. they are good motors no doubt but that is the major drawback. i have had 3 of these 2 that were N/A In a 86 mustang and a 86 tbird and one in my 91 SC. and i only had to do the HGS once on my tbird. they are mostly solid motors. i would def go with the rebuild. if its a solid clean car and worth it to you then go for it. thats just my 2cents

Back