Rear Window

rocktoy

Anyone replaced their rear window by themselves? If so can you explain how you did it?
Tyanks,
John

Don't do it. Call the glass man. I just took one out of a car... and all I can say is what a pain.

You have to take the side, upper and lower trim pieces off first. Then get a window knife or the steel wire with handles and cut the glue all the way around.

Installing should be fairly simple.

trust me and others on this site and just pay the glass guys to do that work. if the window is smashed out or broken out. then removing the remaining glass would not be too hard. but if you are removing the window for a crack or something minor leave it to a glass guy.

its glued in with a thick bead of windshield urathane. the bottom angle is the killer. interior side panels must be removed, rear package shelf must be removed. all trim around rear glass must be removed. then you have three options.

piano wire= can be done if you can get it started, most likely will break the glass.

windshield cutter that goes outside the glass and cuts the glue from oustide.
= those work in a pinch but are not ideal for the angles that that glass has.

electric cutter from inside= what safe light uses. works good and minimal damage. youll want to be carefull for the heated glass wires, and anteanna wires if you have any.

Thanks guys. I was looking at pulling one from a junk yard with good rear defog since mine does not work due to breaks in the element. I just didnt want to pay the glass man 500.00 to do it. I was thinking if I got the glass cheap then I would just pay him for labor and not the glass.
John

You can repair the defrost wires if the rear window is not tinted over the wiring grid.

You can get the repair kits and material at the local parts stores.
MAJOR piece of info (TIP) when testing... DO NOT drag your POINTED electrical test probe across the grid. It CAN actually make a new break in the grid (drags across and cuts/scrapes a new break in the grid)ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!!.
Tips on how to test it... attache a piece of exposed wire(18-20gauge) and run it across the grid like a paint brush, it is soft enough not to damage the grid. Another way is to use a piece of tinfoil. but again, DO NOT push your pointed hard electrical probe against the grid.

here's some info...

http://www.glasslinks.com/tips/defrost1.htm

http://www.frostfighter.com/

If you go to a junkyard grab a hood latch wire from a miscellaneous junker. Keep the handle on one end and cut the other end so the wire is exposed. Poke a hole thru the black silicone on the donor glass and work it like a saw all the way around but be careful and move any shims out of the way.

Helps to bring a buddy with you.

thanks guys. Regul8r repair is not an option. In my stupidity of removing the tint I ruined the rear window heat so I need a new window.
Thanks again,
John

do you have glass insurance?

if so then just break the glass and let them deal with it.

500 for install and removal is kinda steep. hope your back doesnt hurt from being bent over that long... ha ha ha

Back