Torque converter installation do's and don'ts

Dirtyd0g

I have seen these things a few times and for those less experienced with dealing with improved aftermarket parts I want to show you simple things to check to make for a smooth installation.
This particularly is about billet front cover lockup converters that fit smooth against the flexplate.
#1 These are stud caps, intended only to protect the threads of the studs during transit. They have no other purpose.
caps.jpg

If you leave those caps on you will destroy the transmission and converter and possibly bend the flexplate, this is not correct installation
duh.jpg

#2 converter to flexplate clearance should be measured before pulling the converter towards the flexplate out of the transmission. This clearance must be no less than 1/8 inch and no more than 1/4 inch. A little less is not a problem but if it goes below .100 stop and find out why.
Possible scenarios
Incorrect flexplate, Missing block plate or converter not fully installed into transmission.
#3 make sure the front cover can fit on the flexplate correctly. The flexplate used here shows 2 problems. the weight is factory welded leaving a large slag weld on the flexplate side, this must be ground smooth, factory flexplate balance is not very accurate you will not hurt it. If you are very concerned I can balance a flexplate for you as well as another shop I found in michigan.
weightweld.jpg

#4 other obstructions. Factory balance must have been very off on this flexplate so they put a riveted weight on the unit. This is probably a 10 gram weight so if you find these I suggest tac welding them from the back side then grinding the rivet side smooth.
flexrivet.jpg

As always if you have any doubt call someone who is experienced with converter installation, a test fit of the converter to flexplate is a good idea as well.
Alan

Back