Hard start issue

olderthandirt

I have a problem with my 89 S/C I changed out the DIS( new Standard Motor) unit because I was having had start issues.(slow turn-over like a timing issue on SB Ford)What I got was better start and poorer performance . I had thought the opposite would happen with better spark control. Went back to old one and hard start better performance. I have been all over vacuum system no leaks so that is not it.Are the old stock DIS units better?:eek:

Solved ?

Problem seems to be solved I went thru some old posts and tried a lot of simple things. Started with recheck of vacuum leaks ,found some new ones hose failures mostly. Changed DIS unit to a NOS one I found local Changed Coil pack Pulled and cleaned plugs (didn't need it but had em out). Cleaned MAF Was dirty and had oil leaked from K&N filter, went to dry type as I have on my F150. No more hard start !!!! Seems to run much better. Vacuum leaks are a pain and I think I am going to replace all vacuum hoses. Have any of you tried Silcone lines? Or would SS braided be better? Rubber just seems to harden up or rot.Stuff doesn't hold up like it used to,20 30 years and it falls apart. Anyway it isn't making me happy. Chasing leaks is full time sooo change all is gonna happen. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1002.jpg
    IMG_1002.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1004.jpg
    IMG_1004.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Thanks I am having fun with this car. It is not something I thought I would like at first but it grows on you, especially when you push on gas pedal.
Olderthandirt

Wow Clean is right. I'm jealous.
Mine is covered with oil. And I need to clear the garage of its current habitant, a dodge r/t ( that it can't beat, hoping to change that eventually ). I also need a engine stand and a engine hoist.

Back