M5R2 Rebuild tips

Drummer

Just wondering what gears to get for my 2 M5R2 transmission builds. Seems as if the synchros for the F-150 are the same from 1st to 4th gears and only 5th and reverse are different. Looked on eBay for just the synchros and there is a kit that has all the gears in it but one says "Late" and the other says "Early". Which one or how many teeth might be better to ask here. Also, what else should I get for the transmission? 2nd and 3rd were grinding on the one transmission and 3rd is grinding on the one I just put in about 6 months ago. Limited budget. Thanks.

Thanks Raymond. I actually got the first link from TCCOA. The rest are helpful to. I pulled the big cover off the top of the transmission about an hour ago. Looks like gears alright but I can't tell what is good or bad. Seems like the fourth gear has a cut down the middle of it. Not sure if that is supposed to be there.

You're welcome. And I dunno. Might post that as a question and see what someone knows.

Good Luck!

The synchro blocker rings will interchange between the 2 trannys. I'm not sure what they mean by early or late either since the syncro assemblies are the same. The truck's may be all brass but the sizes are the same. The groove on the gear is supposed to be there no problem. Look at the blockers on either side of each synchro assembly and wiggle each one. If it is very loose and dangling it'll cause it to grind. Your 1st and 4th should be your best ones. Check the middle two for looseness. Check the teeth on the edge of the blockers for wear or roughness. You may see a wear mark at the base of each blocker tooth. Is this the one that made the noise or another one? If you don't find any bits of metal in the bottom then probably nothing's broken. I've rebuilt several of these and have lots of internal parts except the blockers available if you need something.

Back