Camaro wins the pony car wars, in sales...2010

ricardoa1

Looks like mustang loss the battle in 2010. Ford screwed up by announcing the new powerplants ahead of time for the 2011 cars. But was that the only issue. Are people just tired of the mustang look even with the new update? Or is the update less appealing then the 2005-2009 cars? IRS?

Bottom line is Chevy is crowned king for 2010 sales. Even with all of the mustangs in the rental fleets.

January 6th, 2011 0diggs
digg
Share Chevrolet Camaro have become the best-selling sports model in United States. The GM model have overpassed Ford Mustang in annual sales for the first time in 25 years.

For the first time in 25 years, Chevrolet Camaro was sold better than Ford Mustang. Moreover, Chevrolet sold 81,371 Camaro units even though the model was only offered in Coupe version, while Ford sold a total of 73,716 Mustang Coupe and Convertible units. Ford officials have reasons to be upset, because the their F series was the best-selling model in United States in 2010, with 529,349 units.

But both marketing teams have reasons to be happy, because Mustang sales have increased 10.6% in 2010, while Camaro sales increased with 31.9% in the same year. Since 1985 until 2010, Ford Mustang was the best-selling sports model in America, no matter the circumstances. Chevrolet also have a model in the Top 10 car sales in United States, the Silverado, model sold in 370,135 copies, registering a 16.9% increase in sales compared with 2010.

The starting price of Ford Mustang Coupe is of $22,145 in US (tax included), while the top model starts from %37,845. On the other hand, Chevrolet Camaro has a starting price of $22,680 (tax included) and the top of the range costs $33,945. The convertible version of Ford Mustang starts at $27,145 (tax included) on the US market, while the price tag for Chevrolet Camaro Convertible was not yet revealed. Starting 2012, Chevrolet will start selling Camaro in Erope, but the price of the model is still a mystery.

At least it's not the Hyundai Tiburon or something like that. :p

Well, who knows I suppose we would need research on how many were sold in the US. Maybe it beat both the Camaro and Mustang sales! :eek: lol doubt it

At least it's not the Hyundai Tiburon or something like that. :p

Well, who knows I suppose we would need research on how many were sold in the US. Maybe it beat both the Camaro and Mustang sales! :eek: lol doubt it

GENESIS, you mean a sports car like the GENESIS. :p I got a kid now the plans of another coupe as a daily driver are out the window.

PONY PONY PoNY pony has always been Rustang, Camorron, Challengeless

GENESIS, you mean a sports car like the GENESIS. :p I got a kid now the plans of another coupe as a daily driver are out the window.

PONY PONY PoNY pony has always been Rustang, Camorron, Challengeless

Ah, wasn't aware of that model! Just took a look and at first glance it reminded me of a 350z .....

Yea, putting a car seat in and out of a coupe is a P I T A!

Interesting, but how do they claim a 30% increase in Camaro sales when there wasn't a 2009 to compare to? I say it's likely just a inaugural year thing. I don't think anyone is tired of the new Mustangs. ;)

I just think it is the newness of the Camaro.

That car is just an incredible looking machine!
If it had a blue oval on the nose I would buy one!

They are good to look at and terrible to drive.

i am sure like others have said its a new car thing. next year might be a different story. who knows.

my money would go to the challenger myself. the mustang is a great car and camaro is fast but the drive and experience in the challenger is better in my book.. even if its not the fastest out there.

I'm with DD re the opening flurry in sales of the Camaro.

2012 should represent the settle in number.

I've only seen one but the 2010 Challenger with the snorkel hood pulled me off the road to have a look. Reminded me of the 70 T/A.

I have found the Mustang carries the bulk better than the 2 "C"s.

The rear wheelwell bulge makes them both look overweight and slow. IMO

Paul

i cant stand those new camaros, i think they look like crap... IMO

anyways they sell more camaros because they break more often and need to be replaced more often, fords run for ever:D:eek:

Rico,

It has nothing to do with anything except the Camaro is new. Chances are within the first two years everyone that was going to buy a camaro will have for the most part bought one and the stang will just keep going production sale wise. I mean every chevy guy out there has been longing for this new camaro for years. They definitely didnt win any battles here

And they have camaro rentals as well.

As for the Genisis "Mustang killer"...How that work out for em hahahaha!

i cant stand those new camaros, i think they look like crap... IMO

anyways they sell more camaros because they break more often and need to be replaced more often, fords run for ever:D:eek:

They break more often because people Crash them driving too fast. My Camaro is fast, faster than the SC .. but not faster than the Vette. Chevy guys, Ford guys .. we stick to our guns. ;)

- Dan

I'm betting the 2011 Mustang sales numbers will crush the 2011 Camaro. I think a lot of people who would normally have bought a Mustang in 2010 held off because of the economy and because they read how much better the 2011 models were going to be and decided to wait a year.

David

A Golf Clap for the 2010 Camaro, a model of car that was unable to garner enough sales in the past, to stay in continuous production.

The 2010 was the redheaded stepchild in the late model mustang world since 2009, no suprise:p

I have a pretty good memory for these kinds of things, and I distinctly remember at least 75% the of people who liked the 05-09 HATED the 2010 restyling. Amazing how power changes opinions :D

The 2010 was the redheaded stepchild in the late model mustang world since 2009, no suprise:p

I have a pretty good memory for these kinds of things, and I distinctly remember at least 75% the of people who liked the 05-09 HATED the 2010 restyling. Amazing how power changes opinions :D

I didnt like it at first. But in person it looks real nice and definitely grew on me.

David Neibert said:
...I think a lot of people who would normally have bought a Mustang in 2010 held off because of the economy and because they read how much better the 2011 models were going to be and decided to wait a year.
This is very true. Just look at the used car (sorry, pre-owned :rolleyes:) section of dealer lots... lots of 2008~2010 GTs in mint shape with low miles for sale everywhere! Just about EVERYONE wants a 2011 GT, and lots of Mustang fans are trading in earlier models for the new 5.0. There are really good deals to be had on the 4.6 cars! 2011 Mustang GT sales numbers are going to be real good!

The Camaro sales numbers are good to see. And, it's not like GM won't continue to refine the car... Ford took 5 years to refine the chassis the Mustang now sits on. GM needs to trim the Camaro weight down a bit, but in its present form still goes like stink and is reasonably priced. Imagine a lighter Camaro with a bit more power.. OY!

I haven't been able to find any sales figures for the Dodge Challenger, but I understand they are pretty good also. This is another car that needs a bit of a diet, but is still plenty fast as-is.

I'm happy to see the sales of domestic pony cars going up... better that than import models IMO.

Back