freeze plug

Brad2296

can you install a freeze plug without having to pull the motor, or remove the exhaust manifold?

I'm pretty sure it's either the middle or very back one on the DS that I need to replace. Not looking forward to it.

Positive it is a freeze plug? same area that the HG's go in...Pretty sure you will need to pull the exhaust manifold..

Positive it is a freeze plug? same area that the HG's go in...Pretty sure you will need to pull the exhaust manifold..

100% it's a freeze plug. It was laying under the motor :( I don't plan on putting in the press in one. I'm gonna be putting in one of them expansion ones where you wrench it in.

Buy an expandable rubber plug. You insert, turn the nut and it seals the hole. Now getting a wrench on it may not be overly simple, but sure beats having to hammer one in. :cool:

will i be able to put in a rubber one without having to remove the manifold?

The better question, is do you have the room to pry the old one out without removing the manifold?

first i would wanna know why did it fall out? water only in the block?

if its because the motor froze the plug may have saved your block..

if it was me i would do it right.. and put in the same kind that was in before.. the kind that you hammer in.

i replaced the radiator over the summer, and only put water in it. like a dumb@$$, i forgot to drain out the water and put in coolant when it started getting colder. Since i WAS in the process of trying to sell it, when I had a guy come look at it, when i started it up, there was a bad screech, water pump pulley frozen. thats when it hit me. @#$@!!!!!!! took off the belt, let the car get warm so i could have drained it, and just as it started to get warm, i heard "tink" and the car started smoking. looked under the car, there was water gushing out, and there was the freeze plug laying on the ground. so it is entirely out of the block.

i'm looking for the easiest route possible since im gonna have the car back up for sale.

i replaced the radiator over the summer, and only put water in it. like a dumb@$$, i forgot to drain out the water and put in coolant when it started getting colder. Since i WAS in the process of trying to sell it, when I had a guy come look at it, when i started it up, there was a bad screech, water pump pulley frozen. thats when it hit me. @#$@!!!!!!! took off the belt, let the car get warm so i could have drained it, and just as it started to get warm, i heard "tink" and the car started smoking. looked under the car, there was water gushing out, and there was the freeze plug laying on the ground. so it is entirely out of the block.

i'm looking for the easiest route possible since im gonna have the car back up for sale.

that is a bummer man.. if the block didn't crack that's lucky...;)

if all you gotta remove is the exhaust manifold and everything to get to it that isnt to bad.. tho it is winter:rolleyes:

Back